We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains!!!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
174 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trains!!!

Hello TALFers!!

Well, 1 day to go - woohoo!!!! Finishing up those last minute details and I have one more "dumb" question. We were thinking of going out to Warwick Castle and would need to take the Chiltern train out of Marylebone. Do I need to go to the Marylebone station to get a train schedule? Is there a "master" schedule or does each line have it's own at the station it leaves from?

Also, I booked our train tickets for our London/Edinburgh leg ahead of time since New Year's is a popular time to travel - I don't believe that I have seat reservations so should I go and pick up the tickets (and make those reservations) as soon as I get to London?

Again, thanks for all of your help and advice!!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains!!!

If you booked London/Edinburgh then you will have seat reservations---they are included.

Sounds,from what you say, that you have to pick your tickets up at a 'fast ticket' machine by entering either the credit card you used to buy them or a pick-up # on your confirmation. Your seat reservations will be with the tickets when you get them from the machine---the machine will spit out a whole bunch of tickets and some of those will be for seats.

I don't know off hand the schedules for Warwick but if you check the national rail website you can see what they are.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

The station from which the Warwick train leaves will have the timetables.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains!!!

<<< you have to pick your tickets up at a 'fast ticket' machine by entering either the credit card you used to buy them or a pick-up # on your confirmation. >>>

You need both credit card AND the reference number you got when booking the tickets.

Which website did you book the tickets through?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains!!!

>>>Do I need to go to the Marylebone station to get a train schedule? Is there a "master" schedule or does each line have it's own at the station it leaves from?<<<

You don't need to go anywhere, the schedules are online at chilternrailways.co.uk

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains!!!

If you have the time and/or are in the area you can go to Kings Cross before you travel and collect the tickets from the machine as Anemone describes or of course you can do it when you turn up to catch the train. I would aim to get there at least half an hour before departure.

Midweek there are 2 or 3 trains an hour that run between Marylebone and Warwick and an adult cheap day return costs £23.50. No savings to be made by (or need to) booking in advance.

Have a safe flight and a great trip.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains!!!

Actually there is a combined rail and entry to Warwick Castle ticket which should save you a few pounds. More details at www.chilternrailways.co.uk/content.php?nID=99

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains!!!

Kinkora: Just wanted to say "Have a great trip!" Don't forget to post a trip report on your return, or if you're not too busy sightseeing, check in and let us know how things are going.

7. Re: Trains!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 00:17