We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underground fares - I'm confused!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Underground fares - I'm confused!

I am so sorry at having to post this, I know how annoying these cards are but I don't know where else I could get the info I need......in a language I understand (think explaining to a toddler!)

Hubby needs to get from Kings Cross to Baker Street on the 16th Jan and then Baker Street to Heathrow on the 17th and then Heathrow to Kings Cross on the 21st. Is he better off with an Oyster Card (I cannot for some reason fathom how these work - my brain just can't compute the endless bits of information I've read on it!) or just buying single tickets??

Again apologies for what I know is a question that gets asked frequently, I have tried to read previous posts on this but I just can't get my head round it.

Cheers

Lou

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underground fares - I'm confused!

Hi

if you are just making three single trips, I would just buy your tickets on the day of travel. I know that the last time I visited London for three days, I bought a travel pass that was valid for tube and buses but it was £18 if I recall and I don't think these three fares will add up to that. I believe that the minimum fare now for even one stop is £2 but I'm sure the Londoners here will have more precise details.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,076 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underground fares - I'm confused!

Minimum fare for one stop in zone 1 is £3 but this is going up to £4 in January I believe. Single between Heathrow and zone 1 is about £5.40 at the moment so I presume that will be nearer £6.40.

Probably still better to get singles though rather than filling in forms for an Oyster card

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,076 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underground fares - I'm confused!

Sorry, that's one journey in zone 1 not one stop. Even LRT aren't that expensive!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Underground fares - I'm confused!

As dicanio says the single cash fare for a zone 1 journey is going up to £4 in january. However, the Oyster Pay As You Go fare will stay at £1.50 so a saving of £2.50 each journey he makes in zone 1. If he makes regular journeys to London then getting an Oystercard and loading it with cash is the way to go and he'll save in the long term.

He can even apply for the oystercard and put some cash online so he has the card before he comes to London. You can apply for the card at the link below. This also means that as the card is registered on line, that if he loses it, they can freeze the card and he doesn't lose any cash he put on it.

https:/…entry.do

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Underground fares - I'm confused!

Just one other thing just to correct what dicanio said about , the single cash fare between heathrow and zone 1 is currently £4 and this is not changing in January. With an Oyster PAYG, the fare will be £3.50 Monday to Friday from 0700 and before 1900 and £2 at other times.

So he can buy 3 single tickets which will cost him £12 or get an Oyster PAYG which would cost him at most £6.50 for the 3 journeys.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underground fares - I'm confused!

He rarely goes to London - am I right in thinking that minimum you can put on a PAYG is £10? If he did that could I use the same Oyster card as I will be travelling back with him on the 21st? That way it'd work out cheaper right? Thanks for your help!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Underground fares - I'm confused!

<<< If he did that could I use the same Oyster card as I will be travelling back with him on the 21st? >>>

NO - only one person at a time can use an Oystercard.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,679 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underground fares - I'm confused!

If you were coming to London without him (!) you could use the card as it is transferable and there is no expiry date so for the sake of £10 (the minimum) I think it could be worthwhile as much as to save the hassle of queuing for three separate tickets as for the monetary savings.

Not sure if we have added things up but anyway here goes:

Without Oyster the three journeys would cost a total of £12.

With Oyster the same three journeys would cost either £5 or £6.50 depending on time of day for the journey between Heathrow and Kings Cross.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…1

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Underground fares - I'm confused!

Don't forget the £3 it costs to 'buy' the Oyster card.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Underground fares - I'm confused!

But the three quid is refundable, if ljg or Mr ljg decided to hand the thing back at the end of the journey(s).

Oyster PAYG is really simple, and what's even better is that you can watch the progression of your journeys by touching your Oyster card to the ticket machine at a tube station. PAYG history is online if you pay the money online, as well, if you want further record of the trips taken.

I was travelling in London recently with a friend, who was having trouble the first few times she used Oyster - she was rubbing it on the touch pads, rather than just laying the card on the pad. It really is that simple - just touch the card flat, and the ping sounds, giving you the all clear.

I didn't think I'd like Oyster, but I do now.