We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best January sales?

East Coast
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Best January sales?

My husband and I heard about January being a great month for Christmas sales in London. Is it true that Harrods Christmas sale is traditionally held on the first Thursday after New Years (in this case...January 4th)? Are there any stores you recommend shopping at?

We would like to buy some souvenirs, but just planned on figuring out what to get (for ourselves and family) once we're there. Any recommendations on what types of gifts/souvenirs to get? A friend recommended buying speciality coffee, tea, jams, etc. aside from the traditional London souvenirs.

Thanks!

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
113 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best January sales?

Some start today Boxing Day, some start next week....but with the Pound vs the Dollar so high, don't expect many great deals...we were very disapointed last year...huge crowds for certain but no real bargains in comparison to what you will find in the States at your local Macy's, Nordstrom, etc..London has become NYC prices plus 20%...it's just a wee bit out of balance right now...Oxford Street is still an interesting place to spend some time watching the madness this time of year. If you're really in a buying mood, look for unusual things you can't readily find in the USA...London is still a great city but globalization has really taken out some of the charm.

East Coast
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best January sales?

We are planning on going to Portabella Market on Saturday so hopefully we'll find some unique gifts. I had some people (here at home) ask me to check out the prices of Burberry purses and they would pay me back. I have a feeling that it would probably be cheaper to buy a Burberry bag here in the US compared to in London with the VAT taxes and exchange rate. We're really looking for a combination of traditional tourist souvenirs and a bit of unique gifts too.

Thanks! :)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,013 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best January sales?

<<< Is it true that Harrods Christmas sale is traditionally held on the first Thursday after New Years (in this case...January 4th)? >>>

28th December

visitlondon.com/city_guide/…jan_sales.html

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best January sales?

I think its extremely unlikely that even with the sales, any commercial, mass market type product would be cheaper in the UK than in the US, as you say I'd still expect Burberry for example to be cheaper in the US, as long as you shopped wisely there and didnt just nip into Macy's to buy it.

Only reason to buy Harrods goods is the 'cachet' associated with it, a perfectly valid reason, but don't expect to be picking up a bargain even in the sales.

IME good tea is difficult to find in the US (what is it with that dammed Black Orange Pekoe stuff or whatever its called?) and Scottish/English biscuits are several 100x times better than any US cookies (except for Oreos of course)

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best January sales?

A wonderful place to pick up tea to bring home is at the Bramah Tea Museum over on the southside. It's walking distance from the Globe Theatre. In fact on our last trip we toured the globe then walked to the museum for cream tea.

http://www.bramahmuseum.co.uk/

Malibu, CA / N.Y.C
Level Contributor
465 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best January sales?

Generally the large European designers are cheaper in London than N.Y.C / L.A ... (last winter got a dolce gabanna coat $3200 in N.Y 1200 pounds in London which was around $2100 back then) ... but with the current exchange rate it really may not make any difference ... though remember you can claim 14% tax back so maybe slightly cheaper but unlikely to be that great a saving, not until the $ gets stronger!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best January sales?

exactly, even previously its rare to find cheaper stuff in the UK but with the current exchange rate, plus I presume there is also some tax on top above a certain amount, must be close to impossible.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best January sales?

The Harrods Sale (for online purchases) is already on.

harrods.com/Cultures/…homepageindex.htm

Despite what some of the (so often) uninformed contributers have stated on this thread, and regardless of the $>£ exchange rate, there are still some huge bargains to be had, with 50%-70% discounts widely available.

Useful article.

guardian.co.uk/retail/…00.html

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best January sales?

That URL gives me a broken page in Firefox or IE.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best January sales?

hmm, now its working must have been me.

May be of use if you want to buy an Armani coat for 'only' £439 or 20% off Botkier bags normally at £400+ but as Travellra was earlier not going to spend £13.50 on an 'outrageous' priced London Eye ticket cant seem ?her? going for many of the items in that story.

Plus, US sales (also occurring now) seem to have savings equal to or better than the UK ones, not much point comparing UK sale prices with US standard ones, .eg Botkier bag from US$ 525 down to $125. Get in there Travellra :-)