We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raining all next week during our trip..

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Raining all next week during our trip..

I just checked the weather for January 3rd-9th and it said showers for each day with a 60% chance of precipitation. On January 4th, it says mostly cloudy. We're disappointed, but knew that the weather would be unpredictable during January so we're just going to makethe best of it.

Should we reconsider going on the London Eye and getting the Catamaran Cruise 1 day hopper pass? I'm just concerned that with the rain (and possible clouds or fog) that we won't be able to get a great view while up in the Eye. I was considering doing the London Eye on Jan. 4th since the weather forecast says mostly cloudy...no rain.

We definitely will still go on the two Original London Walks regardless of the weather. Does anyone know if the guides still will give the tours if it is raining out?

I know that the weather forecasts here in the US aren't always accurate, but pretty close. Should we plan according to what we read already in regards to the weather? What do you all think?

By the way, I was about to post our itinerary, but now I'm changing it up because of the weather. Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raining all next week during our trip..

No one can forecast London weather that far in advance with any meaningful degree of reliability, you could equally well toss a coin.

FWIW the BBC are saying the 3rd will be rainy and the 4th (which is as far out as they go, 5 days) sunny and I wouldn't trust that let alone a 10 day forecast!

You can always leave it until nearer the time and then just go on the Eye if the weather is good or the catamaran or whatever is suitable, thats what you'll have to expect for January weather in any event, it could be anything. But I really wouldn't make or change any plans on the basis of a weather report more than about 2 or 3 days in advance.

A year ago I did a 3 week trip across the UK and was watching the forecast for a couple of weeks in advance. Weather for what would happen on each particular day varied wildly over the space of that time and the forecast in general turned out to be rubbish when compared to what actually happened.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raining all next week during our trip..

why let the weather change your plans? Still do the Eye, even with rain you'll still have a very good view over central London and near surounds.

The BBC forecast for next week isnt so bad, but they're not too accurate that far ahead anyhow. So fingers X'd for you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raining all next week during our trip..

London Walks guides give their tours rain or shine. Don't hesitate to take their tours, just remember to bring your umbrella.

Bear in mind that in London it can be raining one hour and beautiful skies the next or vice versa. Don't let the threat of rain deter your plans.

United States
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raining all next week during our trip..

Thanks. I was looking at a different weather forecast (one provided by weather.com), but the one from BBC looks so much better. Crossing my fingers!

The reason I'm hesitant to go on the London Eye if it rains is because I was looking forward to taking some great pictures. But, I'm assuming there will be many rain drops cascading down the sides of the capsule, which would not produce a great picture. Either way, we're most likely going on it (unless it starts storming!), but just wanted other opinions. Thanks again.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Raining all next week during our trip..

when I visited in november, the forecast was the same, rain rain rain. thats not what actually happened, there were scattered showers, cloudy skies and a couple of good downpours, but I was able to spend a LOT of time outdoors walking and seeing the sights. just take an umbrella.

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Raining all next week during our trip..

I'm sure you won't let the weather spoil your fun, but if it is cloudy and raining there isn't much point going on the London Eye. I work in an adjacent tower block and when it is misty and raining I can barely see the Eye let alone the other side of the Thames.... and with only 6 days you'll be have time to enjoy something else just as special, so much to do!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Raining all next week during our trip..

My mom took a photo of Big Ben from the top of a bus one dreary, rainy December day and it turned out great. Looks like an impressionist painting. She entered it in a local art show and it won an honorable mention.

This time of year, you will most likely have some rain. But instead of rearranging your itinerary now, just plan on making changes on a day to day basis if needed.

The weather forecasts in the UK are not at all as accurate as we are used to here. I know we can watch our local forecasts and pretty much know, down to the hour, when the rain/snow/storms, etc... will be moving in. Not so in the UK. All you can do is be prepared. :o)

United States
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Raining all next week during our trip..

We're considering booking the London Eye tickets through British Airways (same place we booked our trip through) since they were the best price we found. However, I was unsure if we are bound to a certain date. The search function makes you choose a certain date, but then under conditions it says that the London Eye is not date or time specific. It is very confusing because in my online cart/basket it says, "January 3rd London Eye", but then the London Eye says you can't book a specific date. Odd. I'll call BA to find out what the situation is. If we can just purchase a ticket and are not obligated to go on one specific date only, we would book it. This way, we can just go on when it is nice weather.

I'm almost done with our itinerary so I'll be posting it soon!!! :)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,739 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Raining all next week during our trip..

The London Eye isn't going to be that busy in January. You could wait until the day and see what the weather's like.

Sorry about the rain. But just look upon it as the full British Experience :-)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Raining all next week during our trip..

If you believe ANY weather forecast than you must also think that a red-suited, jolly, chubby elf like person and flying reindeer deliver all the gifts worldwide on Christmas eve.

Don't fret about the weather, take every day as it comes.

You've received some solid advice on this thread - and the Eye will be easy to access in January, no worries.

Photos from the Eye anytime, can be spectacular.

Be calm, relax and look forward to a fantastic vacation.

Poppa