We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 best country houses

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
20 best country houses

According to 'Treasures in Britain' (see my previous posting), here are the 20 best country houses in Britain, in alphabetical order. I have starred the ones that I know are easy day trips from London, using public transportation.

Alnwick, Nthumb.

*Blenheim Palace, Oxon.

Broughton House, Nhants.

Castle Howard, N. Yorks.

Claydon House, Bucks.

Cotehele House, Cnwll.

Chatsworth, Derbys.

Haddon Hall, Derbys.

Harewood House, W.R.Yks.

*Hatfield House, Herts.

Holkham Hall, Norfolk

Hopetoun House, W. Loth.

Houghton Hall, Norflk.

*Knole, Kent

Mellerstain House, Borders

Petworth House, ESusx

Plas Newydd, Gwynnd

St. Michael's Mount, Cnwll.

*Syon House, Gtr. London

Wilton House, Wilts.

Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 best country houses

Thanks again Bedlace. I've been to Alnwick so 19 to go.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 best country houses

Good to see Harewood up there, visit at least once a month!

Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 best country houses

Wilton House is also a possible day trip. I'm just thinking of all those who take the train to Salisbury and catch a bus to Stonehenge. Alternatively, after alighting at Salisbury take the bus to Wilton. It takes the same amount of time as the Stonehenge journey, albeit heading west rather than north.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 best country houses

I'm not a country house person but found Chatsworth excellent. The house was friendly, they had a drawing room for folk to sit and look at books, there were real flowers in many of the rooms and the grounds were wonderfully well kept; expensive but worth it.

Dont' know how one would get there by public trans though.

Another that's not on the list and which I thought was great is Calke Abbey, it's an NT house billed as 'the country house in decline', very interesting. Though, again, I don't know how one would get there by public transportation.

Topeka, KS, USA
Level Contributor
546 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 best country houses

Ive visited six of the twenty so have lots to look forward to. I dont know anything about Syon House. What's up with that?

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20 best country houses

I've been to 6 of them too. Syon House is well worth a visit: interiors by Robert Adam, garden by Capability Brown. You can read about it here: http://www.syonpark.co.uk/

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,483 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20 best country houses

I've been to 7 of the 20 listed - see why i have to keep going back to England! :o)

Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 20 best country houses

I'm not a country house person; I usually head straight for the garden when visiting these places. But I do consult my copy of " The Good Country House Guide" for background. I highly recommend this book if the subject interests you. The author is Lydia Greeves. I got my copy at Stanford's, but I imagine Amazon U.K. may stock it.

By the way my copy of this book gives four stars to Boughton House, Chatsworth, Knole and Wilton House. It also gives four stars to Hardwick Hall which is not on the Treasures of Britain list.

And I have to confess to having fallen in love with one of the houses on the list, Chatsworth. It's not very easy to reach, but well worth it. From the moment when you park (carefully, since the Duchess' free range chickens roam the car park), Chatsworth house and grounds are enchanting.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
982 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 20 best country houses

Sadly, I've only seen two of the house on the list; Blenheim and Petworth House. While I don't think it would ever make the top 20 Charlcote House was very intersting.

10. Re: 20 best country houses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 17:18