We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oyster card -how much is left?

Tasmania
Level Contributor
20 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
oyster card -how much is left?

Hi Everyone,

We are travelling to England in May for 5 weeks. We are having 4 full days in London and I was going to get an oyster card loaded with 20 pounds. How do I check how much money is left on the card. We are planning on either going out to Kew gardens or Hampton Court palace on one of the days also.

Our itinerary is to see the Tower of London, London Eye, do the big bus trip around london, Lords cricket Ground, and just wander and explore. Any other ideas would be great.

London
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: oyster card -how much is left?

Every time you use your card at the barriers or on the bus it will tell you how much has been deducted and the remaining balance.

Otherwise, you can go to any oyster ticket machine, touch your card on the yellow panel and it will tell you the amount, and options to top-up.

If you register it, also you can check on line.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oyster card -how much is left?

Miffcolby: How many are in your party? If there are two of you, you each need to have your own separate Oyster card. I would suggest loading a three day + a one day travelcard onto the Oyster card. More info here:

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…travelcard-day.asp

And with your Oyster card, you can get 2 for 1 deals:

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…index.asp

If you go beyond zones 1-2, you can pay an extension fare -- ask at the ticket window.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,460 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oyster card -how much is left?

The off peak cap is £5.20 for zones 1-4, so you may want to put £25 on the card just to ensure you've got a bit of spare cash on hand. The easiest way to view the balance on the card is by going to a tube station and checking the balance at a ticket machine. One or two machines will have the Oyster touch pad integral on the machine, and you can check your balance and see the daily use of your card, as the trips you've made on PAYG will be detailed for you. Just touch the Oyster to the pad and follow the instructions.

If you're very quick, you can see the balance remaining when you get on a bus and place the card on the touch pad at the driver's door - there's a small screen that shows the fare deducted (before you reach the cap) and how much cash you've got left.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oyster card -how much is left?

Very rare that I have to (hopefully politely) correct Lee but you cannot load one or three day travelcards onto Oyster. It will happen in the not too distant future but not just yet.

I would also go with £25 although you can add some credit at any machine should you run low. You can get any excess money back at the same time as when you get your £3 deposit back.

Enjoy Lords but (as much as you deserve it) please just look at the urn!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oyster card -how much is left?

"you cannot load one or three day travelcards onto Oyster. It will happen in the not too distant future but not just yet." What's taking so long?

Thanks for the correction Adam!

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oyster card -how much is left?

If you start getting low on funds on your Oyster Card, when you enter the tube and touch your card, it will say 'enter' but also 'seek assistance' - we found that to be a good clue that we were going to need more funds on the card. If you don't have enough for a trip-it won't let you enter (something that my daughter and her friend encountered)

We used the Oyster Card for 5 days, initially loaded with 10 pounds, and had to 'top up' twice @ 5 pounds each. My daughter and her friend wandered a bit more than we did, especially in the evening, and used 25 pounds for the same amount of time.

And you will need an Oyster Card for each person - two people can't use one.

NDP

Tasmania
Level Contributor
20 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: oyster card -how much is left?

Thanks everyone for all your advice. We will be getting 2 oyster cards with 20 pounds loaded each and put on extra money if needed. My partner is really looking forward to the Lords Cricket Ground tour, he is a cricket fanatic. Sorry about the Ashes. Maybe next time.

Another question, we are staying at the Darlington Hotel in Bayswater. Can anyone advise where the nearest grocery store is, and if any of the cheaper places to eat are nearby. We know eating in London can be expensive and we want to cut costs on food if we can. Remember the aussie dollar is atrocious compared to the British pound. Currently the pound is worth $2.50 aussie. Thanks again.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: oyster card -how much is left?

Oh how I miss London. Just moved to HK - not sure where you are staying exactly but I really like "Khans" indian restaurant not far from Whitelys in Bayswater - it is an indian macdonals in my view!! Lots of cheap chinese places tho I wouldnt know which ones are best.

Also, there is a wagamamas (japanese) - bench seating - in High Street Kensington that I have always found reasonable.

Wrt supermarkets - I know there is a Tesco on High Street Kensington. Look out for Sainsburys, Tesco metros - tend to be cheaper. Avoid buying snacks, water etc in stations. Marks and Spencer is good for sandwiches.

N Joi

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: oyster card -how much is left?

oh, another cheap and cheerful idea is to try Ranoush Juice / Beirut Express on Edgware Road for sharwarma, fresh juices,mint tea etc

I think there is one in Bayswater too but Edgware Road not too far away is lots of fun!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: oyster card -how much is left?

oh, another cheap and cheerful idea is to try Ranoush Juice / Beirut Express on Edgware Road for sharwarma, fresh juices,mint tea etc

I think there is one in Bayswater too but Edgware Road not too far away is lots of fun!