We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Question -- Too Far?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Rental Question -- Too Far?

My family and I (4 teen-aged boys, my husband and me) are spending 8 nights in London the week before Easter. We have narrowed our search for rentals down to a few, but found a well-priced three bedroom -- MANDEVILLE COURT, FINCHLEY ROAD LONDO NW3. Looking at a map it is well north of the areas we are currently looking (Notting Hill, Kensington, Chelsea). The rentals we have been looking at in these areas are $4,000+ for the eight nights.

I need opinions -- is this rental too far out?

Reedley, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Question -- Too Far?

We are going to England and France in the Spring of 2007. We have arranged Home Exchanges for both countries. Rather then spending a lot on lodging we will have the convience of home and have someone taking care of our home.

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Question -- Too Far?

I'm not sure where exactly Mandeville Court is, but if it's close Finchley Road tube it could be fine. It's a good area and both the tube and buses will get you to the West End faster than from Chelsea.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Question -- Too Far?

The apartment seems to be about 10 minutes walk from Finchley Road tube, so it would take you (for example) about 30 minutes to get to Westminster.

Most residents wouldn't consider it far out but for a first time visitor it may become a hassle and temper the experience.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Question -- Too Far?

The problem with the location is that you cant easily nip back to the hotel to freshen up, or get a change of clothes or drop off some shopping so you dont ahve to carry it for the rest of the day, etc.

Can you get a flat rather than a house, further in for similar money?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Question -- Too Far?

sorry, flat=apartment :-)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Question -- Too Far?

Thanks for your responses. We have been looking at flats as well. Three bedroom availablity is beginning to get tight for this time of the year. On the "short list" is a home in Nottinghill Hill, a home south and east of Hyde Park, close the Victoria Station, an Apartment at the Mansions, Earls Court and an Apartment at Allen House, Kensington.

If you have any thoughts on these, please share!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Question -- Too Far?

Is it this one

londonapartmentservice.co.uk/finchley_road_a…

Finchley Road to Westminster is 15 minutes on the tube. You would also be near the North London Line for a direct quick route to Kew which should be lovely at Easter. You could also walk to West Hampstead station for the Thames Link direct to St Paul's or The South Bank. So you have more choice in your transport routes than the other places you have been looking and much the same journey time.

This one is a good location for you near the museums, but the bed arrangement might not suit

londonapartmentservice.co.uk/48_Harrington_G…

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Question -- Too Far?

IAllen House or the one near Hyde Park/Victoria would be a lot closer in to many of the things you'll be visiting, and more importantly would make it more realistic for a quick trip back 'home' in the middle of the day. If you've done some shopping, its always good to be able to unload it. And an easier trip back at the end of the day from a restaurant or theatre.

Don't know how the price compares though? :-) I presume you are paying for that handy location?

9. Re: Rental Question -- Too Far?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2007, 00:28
Minnesota
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Question -- Too Far?

Mr. Cellophane, the link you sent is correct, although that's not the agency that sent me the property.