We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite London pubs

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite London pubs

The thing I love the most about London is how each pub has it's own unique personality. We are headed back to London in six weeks and i was wondering if people could recommend some of their favorite pubs.

Thanks!

Rach

London
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Favorite London pubs

Rachel

I would recommend heading west on the tube to either Putney or Hammersmith to enjoy some atmospheric pubs on the river.

In Hammersmith (follow signs to Hammersmith bridge then walk up the river path):

- the Blue Anchor - if you have seen the film sliding doors (with Gwyneth Paltrow) this is where the riverside pub scenes were shot

- The Dove - a bit further up past the park - many a famous poet or composer has visited and it is very cosy in winter.

In Putney:

- The Dukes Head. This pub is at the start of the Oxford Cambridge boat race and has recently been really nicely refurbished with a cool bar on the lower floor and smart pub/resto on ground level.

Enjoy!

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Favorite London pubs

Why not have a look at www.beerintheevening.com ( I think .com might be .co.uk ) Lists 1000s of pub with reviews etc. you can also use it to design a pub crawl. I always have a look if I am planning to go to off my beaten track!!

Also can I recommend the pubs in Kilburn. I really like the North London Tavern and accross the road, Powers Bar(also known as the Coal pits) Both on Kilburn High Road

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Favorite London pubs

www.pubs.com

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Favorite London pubs

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful recommendations, especailly for putting the pubs in historical content. My husband and I are actually coming out for my grandmother in law's 90th birthday, but spending a week based in London before we head down to the party in Bournemouth. I can't wait to try all the pubs you have suggested!

By the way, these TALF greets sound like so much fun. When is the next one going to be?

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Favorite London pubs

Rach, have you seen this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k93052…

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,408 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Favorite London pubs

One more to add to the list - The Seven Stars in Carey Street, just behind the Law Courts off Fleet Street. Home cooked food, good beer but tiny and the stairs to the loos are best attempted sober!

It looks like you will be here later in February. We will be having a do at the Lamb on the 2nd but if you are here later than that please let me know your dates and I will add them to the February roll call and if we have enough folk then I will try to arrange another meet.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Favorite London pubs

I will try to check out all the websites this weekend. Adam and Lee, thanks for the info on the TALF get togethers! We get into Heathrow the morning on February 16th, so hopefully there will be something during that week we are there...

With my nose in a...
Level Contributor
775 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Favorite London pubs

Richmond is nice for a pint by the river too. (District line tube) There's a few on the riverfront. Slug and lettuce also does good food.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Favorite London pubs

Also, when we were there in Spring '04 we passed by a canadian themed pub near Trafalgar square. Does anyone know this place? We didn't get a chance to go back on that trip, but we would love to visit it again since my husband is from Canada.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Favorite London pubs

Rach,

That Canadian pub sounds like The Maple Leaf which is near Tralfalgar Square. A few websites detailing the pub and with maps so you can find it again are:

fancyapint.com/main_site/thepubs/pub612.html

www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/37/373/

www.coventgardenlife.com/places.asp…