We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

national express, is it a good way to travel?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san diego, ca
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
national express, is it a good way to travel?

I am going to london in a couple of weeks. After London I want to travel to Paris. Is the National Express Bus a good way to travel, I have noticed that it is significantly cheaper than the Chunnel or ferry options. Is this a good way to go, or should I stick to ferry or rail.

Any helpful tips regarding travel in london and paris would be very helpful.

Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: national express, is it a good way to travel?

The coach plus ferry to Paris is a significantly longer trip than that offered by Eurostar, although the latter is likely going to be more expensive (the lowest fares do sell quickly on trains). If you can find an inexpensive fare at www.eurostar.com, grab it and enjoy the trip.

One way to shorten the trip might be to take a coach to Dover, ferry or Hoverspeed across to Calais, then train from there to Paris. Long coach journeys are just that - long - whereas train travel gives you more opportunities to stand up and move, rather than having to sit and stare out the window.

To get around London, you'll need a Travelcard. For Paris, a Carte Hebdo will give you 12 journeys on the Metro in a seven day period, a Carte Orange unlimited use of Metro, buses and RER (in the zones for which you pay, like London's Travelcard) from Monday through Sunday, and a Mobilis is a handy little one day pass for unlimited use - like a one day Carte Orange.

London
Level Contributor
561 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: national express, is it a good way to travel?

The Hoverspeed tip above is a little out of date. The company ceased operations in November 2005.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: national express, is it a good way to travel?

Its cheaper for a reason, so its up to you to decide how much the time saved is worth.

What are the "ferry" options? The ferry doesn't go to Paris, after all!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,093 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: national express, is it a good way to travel?

You book a ticket on NE from London to Paris, coach takes you to ferry, crosses Channel then continues onto Paris

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: national express, is it a good way to travel?

No, thats the NE option.

He says NE is a cheap way to travel, " significantly cheaper than the Chunnel or ferry options"...so, whats the 'ferry option'?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: national express, is it a good way to travel?

I assume he means

Bus to Dover

Foot passenger on the ferry

French bus to Paris

I can not imagine that this would be cheaper or easier than NE straight through.

BTW

Do any scheduled coaches use the rail ferry ?

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: national express, is it a good way to travel?

If I were younger and frugal I would consider taking an overnight National Express coach. It would be misery, but I would save a night's hotel bill. Their website lists a 2030 departure that arrives in Paris at 0630 for £34.00. I don't know the ins and outs of discounts.

The journey under the channel on Eurostar was dull. Someday I'd like to cross the channel on a ferry, the good old fashioned way.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,173 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: national express, is it a good way to travel?

People used to dread travelling on "old fashioned channel ferries" because they were disgusting, dirty, unstable and slow, with people vomiting all over the place and no facilities. You reached them on an equally unpleasant train and it took all day to get to Paris. That is why Eurostar is so popular now.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: national express, is it a good way to travel?

I think the OP only thought he had two options. Train or make his own way from London to the ferry hence his third National Express option.

I am fairly sure the National Express bus goes all the way to Paris. It is a while since I did this but passengers used to get off the coach at Dover, board the ferry as foot passenges and then get on the coach again in Calais.

Diz
UK
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: national express, is it a good way to travel?

Someone asked about the Eurolines service a while ago on the Paris Forum, and I think he checked and found it uses the shuttle for the crossing (I think it would have to, in order to guarantee the timetabled journey time?). As he was only willing to endure the discomfort in order to see the Channel, I think he cancelled!