We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

Have just finished a phone conversation with the owner/manager of St. Margaret's Hotel---based on all of the positive reviews and comments on TA, I really wanted to stay there on my March trip. She offered accommodations through the 14th only, because, due to "circumstances beyond their control" they will be closing as of the 15th of March, after having run the hotel for 56 years.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

How sad. :-(

Thanks for letting us know, angel.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

Cripes. The lady I spoke to last week didn't let on.

I have just spoken to another lady and from what I can gather their new (?) landlord has forced them out although I am not sure if that is because they want to run a hotel themselves or get a better price from letting the building out as something else.

The family do own a very basic hotel in nearby Guilford Street called the Celtic which they are in the process of upgrading.

Superior, Wisconsin
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

I also has a converstion with the owner. She stated that they could not accomodate us for April stay. However, she did state that I could email the office on the St. Margaret's site and they could set me up at the Celtic Hotel.

They own that property around the corner from St. Margaret's. Does anyone know what happened. I know that last year the one of the owners was in poor health.

Sad news.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

That is sad news.

I remember visiting London again in 2005 (after a 10 year absence) and walking down Bedford Place to visit what was The Repton Hotel (several doors down from St Margarets) only to find that that hotel had closed as well. I always thought that St Margarets would be there forever.

I used to work at the Repton and I know what lovely gardens are hidden behind those buildings. It's a shame that visitors will not have the chance to see them.

Mez.

Massachusetts
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

We're booked to stay at the St. Margarets at the end of February (family of 4) We are very concerned about the pending closure of the hotel being so close to our visit. Does anyone have a sense as to whether the service and facilities are being maintained at the same level as we have known and loved at the St. Margarets?

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
272 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

Are you referring to the hotel on 26 Bedford Pl? They still have a website on the internet. Have they closed?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

"Are you referring to the hotel on 26 Bedford Pl? They still have a website on the internet. Have they closed?"

That is the one. I think they had to close at fairly short notice so possibly they have not have the chance to shut the website down.

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
352 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

So, can someone recommend names of hotels in that area?

The Royal National has not had good reviews- - - - although

British Airways usually offers 2 free nights stay there during the winter. I liked the breakfast at St. Margarets and the cleanliness.

I have heard there are other hotels on that street, but I would need a name to make a reservation.

I am still stunned St Margarets closed.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

The Thanet (also in Bedford Place) is mentioned in dispatches as offering decent value and there are The Morgan and The Arran House in nearby Gower Street.

10. Re: St. Margaret's Hotel to close 15 March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 15:18