We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theatre recommendations for Jan 20-21

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Theatre recommendations for Jan 20-21

Hi,

I will be in London on Sat/Sun the 20-21 this month. What is the best dramatic play or comedy that is running during this time period? I am on my own and am hoping to queue up and get a last minute ticket even if the show is sold out. Thanks for any and all opinions. I have never seen Blood Brothers but from the commentary it sounds like I should pass on the troupe performing currently.

Lori

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theatre recommendations for Jan 20-21

Check out www.officiallondontheatre.com or www.theatremonkey.com for ideas of whats on then. A favourite on the forum currently seems to be the dark thriller Woman in Black:

http://www.thewomaninblack.com/

If you are anywhere near leicester square during the day you can pop along to the officla london theatre half price ticket booth and see whats available. to get an idea of what comes up for half price check out their website and go to TKTS/whats on sale.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
177 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theatre recommendations for Jan 20-21

The best dramatic play at the moment is History Boys. It has closed on Broadway, but still going strong in London. The current cast is excellent -- better, in my opinion, than the original (which you can see in the motion picture that opened a few weeks ago). Some performaces are sold out.

If you change your mind and want to see a musical, don't miss Billy Eliott -- it is superb. And if you like dance, and have not seen Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, by all means do so -- at Sadler's Wells. It closes on 21 January and leaves for a tour in Australia.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theatre recommendations for Jan 20-21

Thanks to both of you for your excellent advice! I will check out both Woman in Black and History Boys!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theatre recommendations for Jan 20-21

If you want a comedy you may enjoy the Producers its fun and very funny.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theatre recommendations for Jan 20-21

I managed to catch the History Boys with its current cast just before it hit the west end. It was brilliantly performed, but you should be aware that much of the verbal content is s*xually explicit. I should also add that it is both poignant and hilarious in parts. You can probably get an idea of the plot from imdb.com as it is also a film.

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theatre recommendations for Jan 20-21

saw Frost/Nixon on friday and was fantastic bought ticket £10 from box office ..it was in the front row to the side of the top circle A23 i think my seat was told slightly restricted but it did not matter at all for this.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,408 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theatre recommendations for Jan 20-21

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k94119…

You might get lucky and pick up a bargin. Do bear in mind that on Sundays there are only a few matinees and no shows at all in the evening.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theatre recommendations for Jan 20-21

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that I took your advice and saw the History Boys, GREAT PLAY. I had to queue on line at 7 PM but had no trouble getting a great seat in the stalls.

Also saw the Soane Museum, Tate Modern,The London City Museum and took the Alfred Hitchcock walk on the London City tours. It was the best 3 days spent in London ever. Thanks so much for everyone's advice and help.

9. Re: Theatre recommendations for Jan 20-21

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 05:26