We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Question

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Passport Question

If we are starting our trip off in London, do you have to fill out a landing card/immigration form if you are going to other EU countries such as Italy or France. Or do you just produce a passport or not at all. How does this concept work, especially if you catch the Train through numerous countries.

Thanks for your time

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Question

Its not straightforward. You need to know about the countries who have removed their internal borders after agreeing the Shengen treaty (UK didn't, so have border checks on the Eurostar, for example - other countries might not).

In theory you could travel around the Shengen zone without a passport, as it would be very unlikely you would be checked.

There's also a commmon passport area between UK and Ireland which is different again from Shengen.

Try wikipedia for more detail

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Question

SChengen

London, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Question

For travelling within the Schengen area (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden) you may have to fill out a landing card at the first passport control point you come across. Your passport will then be stamped with a "Schengen" stamp and this stamp will cover access to all the other countries. However you shouldn't need to produce your passport as the internal borders are not usually policed.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,473 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Question

Unlikely that your passport will be stamped on entry to the Schengen zone - don't however assume that your entry into Schengen is unrecorded

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Question

Immigration in the UK seems to have the only Western European officials who take a real interest in me and my passport. They are the only ones interested in the purpose of my visit and whether I will overstay my welcome. Their passport stamp states "Leave to enter for six months. Employment and recourse to public funds prohibited".

In contrast, the passport was stamped in Brussels, leaving the Eurostar, but the official did not compare the photo to me. The oddest was arriving via Icelandair in Luxembourg. Immigration just slid the passport back to me unopened.

There were casual passport checks entering Switzerland and entering Austria from Switzerland.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Question

Your passport will be stamped entering the UK and then, if you are flying, upon entering your next port of entry in the EU, from there it's up to individual countries whether they decide to stamp non-EU passports.

I have never travelled by rail inside the EU so don't know about those regulations.

7. Re: Passport Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 18:20