We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

Toronto
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

First off, although I've lurked for a long time, this is my first post. The info on this forum is fantastically helpful -- thanks to everyone who contributes!

Anyway, I've found 3 rental apartments that look like possibilities for me. Any opinions would be much appreciated.

About the planned trip ...

Will be myself and my 14 year old daughter, for a week in July. We were in London a couple of years ago for about 4 days (stayed at a hotel near Victoria), and crammed a lot of attractions into that visit (though it was great!). This time, we are looking for a relaxing trip -- no pre-planning on where to go each day, spend some time enjoying the parks, etc. My daughter does want to go to as may West End shows as we reasonbly can, however -- so I am envisioning at least a few mornings at the half-price booth in Leicester Square.

So ... I'm looking for the following in an apartment

- easy acces to Theatre District

- quiet within the apartment

- nice neighborhood, prefer residential rather than "touristy"

- groceries within easy walking distance

Here are the 3 I've found (don't have exact street addresses)

(1) Gloucester Road -- right at the north end of Gloucester Road; site says about a 7 minute walk to Gloucester Road Tube.

(2) Sydney Street -- near Fulham, rather than Kings Road (South Kensington Tube).

(3) Ovington Gardens -- halfway between Knightsbridge and South Kensington Tube, just south of Brompton Road

I know these are all fairly close together -- any differences in the neighborhoods, streets, transportation access to help me choose?

Thanks so much!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

I'd probably opt for the Gloucester Road flat as there's a Waitrose store in the Arcade next to the tube station and there's a Sainsbury's a couple of blocks away from there off Cromwell Road.

London UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

Hi there

I would go for Sydney Street as first choice and then Ovington Gardens as second. My reasons for Sydney Street are

Really lovely area

Not touristy

Quiet

Lovely shops and on the Kings Road there is a Waitrose and M & S Food hall plus there are lots of shops and little cafes/restaurants.

You can easily get to museums, theatres by bus, taxi or tube. You are really really central. Get an Oyster card is you are going to use Public Transport because buying individual tickets has become very expensive. I hope we have good weather for you - it was really hot last year. You should check out Regents Park Open Air theatre as they may have something on when you are here and that can be nice.

Hope this help

Popular shows sell out fast so book tickets in advance for good seats.

London UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

Hi there

I would go for Sydney Street as first choice and then Ovington Gardens as second. My reasons for Sydney Street are

Really lovely area

Not touristy

Quiet

Lovely shops and on the Kings Road there is a Waitrose and M & S Food hall plus there are lots of shops and little cafes/restaurants.

You can easily get to museums, theatres by bus, taxi or tube. You are really really central. Get an Oyster card is you are going to use Public Transport because buying individual tickets has become very expensive. I hope we have good weather for you - it was really hot last year. You should check out Regents Park Open Air theatre as they may have something on when you are here and that can be nice.

Hope this help

London UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

Hi there

Really lovely area

Not touristy

Quiet

Hope this help

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

That's three votes for Sydney Street then :-)

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to more questions as the weeks go on!

Seriously all three locations look fine although I can't comment on the individual properties. South Kensington to Leicester Square (for the TKTS booth) is 5 stops and 15 minutes on the Piccadilly Line so it would make sense to be close to that station or Knightsbridge. The north end of Gloucester Road is a tad (only a tad mind) more isolated although you have got Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens(great for letting off steam on a warm summer's evening) just a short walk away.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

London
Level Contributor
295 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

Just to be add my view, I'd go for Ovington Gardens, as it should be the quietest. Which road is the Gloucester Rd apartment on, though? All three are good for amenities, are in residential areas (Gloucester Rd the most touristy), and none is truly close to theatreland, but all afford good access by tube. Don't hesitate to buy an Oyster card!

Toronto
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

Thank you all so much for the helpful input.

After much agonizing, I've think I'm going to go with the Sydney Street one. I think I like that location best.

The Gloucester one was right on Gloucester road at the very north end. The Ovington Gardens one in Knightsbridge was very tempting, but the rental agent said Sydney was a bit more modern and has more light in the flat.

Also the Sydney one was least expensive -- added bonus.

It is really hard to rent something without seeing the flat or knowing the areas. Thanks again for the help.

Now I just have to start trying to figure out Oyster cards ...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

Not to go on a tangent here..

But how do you Londoners pronounce "Gloucester" anyways?

Sorry for the thread-jack

London UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

Gloucester is pronounded "Gloster" - no joke

Boca Raton, FL
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Narrowed it down to 3 rentals -- please help me choose

I am looking for a rental property for this summer - which website did you go on to find yours? Thanks