We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three London Questions

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Three London Questions

Hello, here are a few questions for you Experts out there:

1) The best time/s during the day to visit the London Eye? I'm referring to both tourist and weather aspects of the day. If I go early, will there be fewer tourists, but more fog, and therefore less visibility? etc I'll be in London during the last two weeks of March.

2) Average temps in March-With the changing weather patterns these days, how far do you think the temperatures/rain/etc stray from the averages listed in books and the internet?

3) Peculiar Piccadilly Question-I realise that Mayfair/St James are elegant, but what is the "general type" of business of this area?

Eg the City is for bankers/financial ctr of the city; Bloomsbury is the city's academic heart...Books don't really describe what goes on in this neighbourhood. During my last trip there, I walked down Piccadilly from the Green Park tube station to Piccadilly Circus almost every morning, and always saw very "business-looking" men and women in suits...Just curious! ;D

Thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three London Questions

Londonphilic: It's hard to predict the weather but if it's a clear day any time of the year, the London Eye will be more crowded.

I stayed at the Cavendish Hotel on Jermyn Street last November so did quite a big of walking around Mayfair/St. James. There are several auction houses in and around the area, as well as trendy shops, hotels, privates residences, restaurants, pubs and private clubs. In March, take a walk down some of the side streets and just explore!

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Three London Questions

Fog is actually quite rare in Central London, I shouldn't worry about it if I were you. We do sometimes get a little mist in the mornings but it doesn't usually last very long and it's usually only when we've had very wet days followed by a sudden warm front.

The weather could be anything from cold and wet to mild and springlike, there's really no way to accurately predict it, sorry.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three London Questions

You have been watching too many Sherlock Holmes movies, you are very unlikely to get fog in central London! What is much more likely is dull persistent drizzle (I think you would call it 'sprinkles')

The problem with averages is even if the average is spot on over the month, it doesnt mean anything for one particular day. Its unlikely to be cold enough for frost, or warm enough for sunbathing, other than that hard to say. Over two weeks you should get a clear day. I would just advise avoiding rush hour.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,019 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three London Questions

Why people in suits?

Some parts of the City have moved to the West End. Private banking, hedge funds, fund management. This is the equivalent of Wall Street moving to midtown Manhattan.

Also, estate agents, antique dealers, art dealers, etc.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three London Questions

I work in Mayfair so am probably one of the people in suits you saw every morning! Verity is right, Mayfair is very big in the alternative investment classes like Hedgefunds and Private Equity, the large Investment Banks are in the city, many of the boutique funds are here in the West End.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three London Questions

I work in St James's and agree with the other comments about the type of businesses in the area - lots of hedge funds and investment firms, plus there are some good taylors, art galleries (old masters and contemporary), Christies, the Commonwealth head office is on Pall Mall, BP head office is in St James's Square, there are restaurants like The Wolseley (lots of breakfast business meetings) and hotels like The Ritz.

It really is an interesting area.

London
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Three London Questions

The best time to go on the London Eye is first thing in the morning. The lines get longer as the day goes on. As for the weather, who knows. We do not enjoy the more predictable weather that you have in California.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three London Questions

Thanks for everyone's comments. Whitecliffs, I will definitely try the London Eye in the morn!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three London Questions

WHAT IS this mis-conception people have about London that it is foggy ALL the time?!

It is only foggy first thing in the morning around 5am and in the winter-time for a few days?!

The fog that London is famous for was in the Dickensian era which lasted for a LONG time!

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three London Questions

The 'ye olde fogge of London Towne' beloved of Victorian set thrillers was really smog , because of coal fires- the good old peasoupers, which were prevalent up to about the mid-60s I think, when the Clean Air Actwas brought in. (I'm sure someone can be more acurate about timings than me) Actual fog is really quite rare in London now - maybe a bit of mist first thing on the river, which burns off and wouldn't afect you seeing further afield from the Eye. As another poster said, visibility is more likely to be affected by rain - end of March is heading for 'April Showers' (or Aprile Showres, for those who know their Chaucer).