We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Tours for Londoners

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London Tours for Londoners

Can anyone recommend a London bus tour company or other type of London tour which would be informative and entertaining for people who live and work in London and have done for many years?

Having a couple of days to spare in my own city, it occurred to me that I have never seen all of the landmarks - ok so I have seen the major landmarks, but don't know all the history of them!

Any recommendations from home or abroad would be welcomed!

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Tours for Londoners

Would suggest you first read a good speciialist book tracing London's growth since Roman times up until today or if reading is not your forte go to the London Museum.

That will put everything in context, the original rivers, the growth of the old city of London confines verses the government/ church around Westminster and outlaw country over in Southwark that everything today has been overlaid on.

That will put everything in context and spark natural areas of interest for further investigation.

Otherwise guides just become a mass of figures, Kings & Queens, etc, entertaining but leaving you with a kind of lightweight, superficial feeling soon forgotten in my opinion.

USA
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Tours for Londoners

Welcome to the forum. I have seen a few Londoners taking London Walks. www.walks.com One resident had taken a number of guided walks and was surprised at how little Londoners knew about their city.

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: London Tours for Londoners

Great - thanks for the tips handfordr and hoogo.

Firstly I didn't even know there was a museum of London (I am assuming you mean the one at London Wall/Barbican) and the London Walks also look interesting - maybe I could even sneek out on a lunch break for one of those!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Tours for Londoners

I second the London Walks. On one of the tours, I noticed a Londoner was being dragged along with his American girlfriend. He kept saying, "I walk by that everyday and never noticed it!" By the end, he vowed to take more walking tours.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Tours for Londoners

London Walks for me too although it would have to be both an early and long lunch break for you.

There are plenty of listings/reviews elsewhere on this site.

denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Tours for Londoners

handfodr do you have any book recommanditions?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Tours for Londoners

Another vote for Original London Walks. I've had several walks with Londoners on them and they've enjoyed the walks. I've told stories I've learned to a dear friend who is a native Londoner and she's never heard them before. They're really good intros to different areas of London covering a wide variety of subjects. I've done around 4 dozen of the walks - well worth it.

USA
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Tours for Londoners

"handfodr do you have any book recommendations?" I am obviously not handfordr, but the best introductory London book I have read is H. V. Morton's In Search of London. It was published in about 1950, but he writes about London from prehistory through Roman times, Victorian times, Edwardian times, the Blitz, and postwar years. It is a good fun read that I hope you can borrow from a library. http://tinyurl.com/26mfap

9. Re: London Tours for Londoners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 14:18