We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School break in February?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
School break in February?

Can anyone tell me when the school break in February in London is? Were coming the 17-23 will it be busier if the break is then?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,803 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School break in February?

I think it is the date of most half term holidays, though the Scottish ones are earlier. You'll probably find that its not that much busier since its not really high season in Feb - perhaps just a little busier than usual. Someone will correct me if I am wrong hopefully.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: School break in February?

British families don't make up a significant proportion of tourists in London anyway, so the dates of the holidays will have negligible impact on your trip.

London
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School break in February?

It is the week before you arrive for a lot of London schools. As the previous poster mentioned you won't notice a difference unless you catch the tube in rush hour when it may be it little bit quieter...

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: School break in February?

Schools in my area are closed from the 19th to the 23rd Feb - that usually makes it quieter on the roads and public transport for that week.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School break in February?

I work in a Surrey school. We're off 12 - 16th Feb. My children go to school in Hampshire. They're off 19th - 23rd Feb! Grrrr, typical! I shouldn't think London will be hugely busier on either of those weeks though. Airports could be, as some families will be off in search of the sun.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,208 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School break in February?

Half term varies from school to school depending on whether primary/secondary, state/private and which borough. Some people with three children have three different weeks.

The good news is that it probably doesn;'t make any difference to tourists.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School break in February?

My two are in two different London boroughs and are both off for 19-23. Rush hour traffic on trains, tubes and buses will be noticeably quieter but child-occupying attractions like Science Museum etc would be busier (also depends a bit on the weather - busier if rainy). Fashion shops like Topshop - don't even try (from a mother of teen daughters perspective.)

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: School break in February?

The advantage with going half term is that any children in museums will be accompanied by their parents and therefore will be better behaved than when they are there as a school party.

London
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: School break in February?

The main attractions that seem to get busier during half term in London tend to be places like the London Eye, Natural History Museum and the London Dungeons. I think you are safe with places like Westminster Abbey and the Tower etc.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: School break in February?

Not sure about the instrinsic merit of the London Dungeon.