We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewelers and/or repair

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Jewelers and/or repair

OK very odd question.

Does anyone know of a jeweler or repair place that could mount my 1963 British One Penny (into a bezel)? Or maybe a coin dealer (who hate this)?

or what could i use as a search engine? is it google.co.uk?

I have tried having it done here but the jeweler was unable to find one that would fit. I think it is the thickness not the circumference that is the problem they tried several and even using a cushion/ring around but nothing worked. Our closet coin is the half-dollar but it is thicker.

The cost (if it had worked) would have been about $40.

I figured since I was making the trip I would bring it with me and try in London.

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewelers and/or repair

I used to work in both coins/jewellery - but that was many years ago so honestly don't know who would be able to do it.

If it was a gold sovereign - that would be easy to find a mount for as these have always been available., but I doubt whether a 1963 1d - if you are sure that is what it is would have a mount available.

Does this coin have a significant sentimental value for you and is it uncirulated meaning shiny like new.

The best area of London for jewellery is an area called Hatton Garden. You could try searching on internet. It would also help if you have a photo of the coin - actual size - so if you contact anybody they might be able to offer you assistance.

Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewelers and/or repair

Note name-Penny

yes it has sentimental value, no it is not uncirculated (but I am assuming that because of condition).

I don't know if your penny in current circulation is the same size. Width 3cm.

Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewelers and/or repair

scroll to bottom of page 1962 shown is identical to what I have. I found this by doing a google search.

There may be other sites with more info but this had picture.

www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/pics/pen4.html

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,036 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewelers and/or repair

1963 pennies were massive things. The current 1 pence is much smaller, slightly bigger than a dime.

To mount something like that would be a challenge but Hatton Garden will be your best bet. Tube to Farringdon, turn right out of the station cross Blackfriars Road and about 2 more blocks along.

Cooperstown NY
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewelers and/or repair

Ebay has several bezels. Give it a look.

6. Re: Jewelers and/or repair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 15:15