We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Woman in Black?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
Level Contributor
264 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
The Woman in Black?

I have read some reviews on this play & most are good just alot of complaints about teenagers screaming & carrying on in the theatre. My question is have any of you TALFr's seen & recommend this thriller?

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Woman in Black?

I saw it years ago when it was new on the scene and I thought it was a waste of time. I guess I was a minority of one since it's lasted for eons, but I'd heard scarier ghost stories around the campfire at summer camp, when I was a kid.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Woman in Black?

"a lot of complaints about teenagers screaming & carrying on in the theatre"

I'd recommend it, but its true about the kids. When I went it was juist screaming, other than that they were well behaved, but I would gess there were 10 adults in the theatre, and the rest schoolkids, most in school uniform! Reason is, this play is studied at many schools, they arrange trips to see it, so most of the audience tends to be children. I dont know when the minimum number of children would be there, I am guessing that ironically it might be in the school holidays.

My children went there with the school and then went back under their own initiative so it definitely appeals to children as well as adults.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Woman in Black?

It's a very fine piece of theatre. Much of its magic emanates from the fact that a very small cast of three or four people manage to create a world of mystery and intrigue effortlessly. I went to the evening performance and did not experience the shrieking kids. Perhaps you should phone the theatre to ask them when is the best time to avoid children.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Woman in Black?

We went to a Saturday matinee in 2005 and there was no noisy children there. I think it must be as joe says avoid weekdays especially matinees as these are the performances schools are most likely to go to.

As for the play, it was great. We sat 2 rows from the front and well over to the right. So the seats were far from the best, but still great theatre. There are always cheap tickets available for it.

london
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Woman in Black?

I agree with Mr Cellophane - I think of it as one of the shows for which there are cheap tickets always knocking around.

That was what tempted us to go one (midweek) night. No screaming kids but a good few screaming adults !

The first half an hour is all the scene-setting and my friend got a big fidgety. But after that it all starts to happen and we came out at the end having thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Charming little theatre too.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Woman in Black?

We saw it about 2 years ago. It was our second choice as we couldn't get tickets to the play we wanted. We were a bit skeptical of the whole "ghost story" aspect, and the rowdiness of the teenagers in the audience. However, once the play started, we didn't hear a peep from the schoolchildren except for one scene.

All in all, an entertaining old fashioned ghost story that generally spooky and spellbindingly told.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,409 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Woman in Black?

I saw it years ago and was initially sceptical but actually really enjoyed the 'coup de theatre' which was unexpected and well done. Won't reveal it so as not to spoil it. No schoolkids but it was NYE so go on a Friday or Sat night and you should avoid school trips.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Woman in Black?

I read that this show was coming up to Scotland on tour soon - does this mean it is closing in the West End due to dwindling numbers I wonder?

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Woman in Black?

Purple

It has been on tour before. We saw it in Woking.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Woman in Black?

My fiancee and I went about a year ago and really enjoyed it. The story is well told and it is amazing that the whole thing is done with 3 people. We had no screaming children but the adults in the theatre had a good scream at a couple of key points throughout the show (including my partner, sssh).