We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on parking please

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on parking please

I would like to park overnight reasonably close to Lambeth North tube station from Saturday midday to Sunday midday. Does anyone know of any safe parking in the area please?

Is this feasible or would I be better off parking on the outskirts of London and coming in by train to Waterloo? I shall be coming up from the SW but the downside to parking outside (Esher for example) London is that after Lambeth I need to drive to Halifax in Yorkshire.

Any help much appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on parking please

According to the info at www.ncp.co.uk, there is a 24 hour multi storey car park at Kipling Street, SE1 3RU. To leave your vehicle there for 24 hours will cost £15. Another 24 hour car park is at Bell Wharf Lane, off Upper Thames Street, EC4R 3TB. The price is max £20, but there are cheaper prices posted for Saturdays and Sundays.

London
Level Contributor
833 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on parking please

If you don't mind parking north of the river and travelling back over to Lambeth, theres a 24 hour car park at the Minories (Mansell Street) which costs £2 after 1.30 Saturday and all day Sunday. £2 per hour before 1.30. I've parked there before on a Saturday evening and it has always felt safe enough, especially if you are on the ground floor as that is staffed.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on parking please

You should be able to park on-street in Hercules Road opposite LN station but you'd have to check the meters.

I think sometimes you have to pay during the day at weekends for meters but yellow lines are okay to park on (yes, it doesn't make sense).

There are quite a few roads around there that are okay to park on single yellow lines, just check the signs closely.

London
Level Contributor
9,177 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on parking please

I have lived in London for over 20 years, but I still struggle with parking rules. The regulations not only change from borough to borough, but they can change within the same street. And worse - there will not necessarily be a sign in the street to tell you what rules apply in terms of single yellow lines. You have to look as you drive along. As the rules change from one zone to another - there will be a sign at the boundary point setting out the rules. But you may not see another sign until you reach the boundary of the next zone. Horrid.

In many areas you can park for free from 1330 on Saturday, right through to start of business on Monday. But you need to check, double check and triple check that this applies in the spot you've picked.

Sorry - I don't know the rules around Lambeth North. If you get stuck, drive across the river into the City of London. You can park in the City on meters after 1330 on Sat - and it's very safe. And every meter will show the exact times that apply for that meter.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on parking please

Have just come back and thanks everyone for your help.

Parked in Hercules Road on a meter but have to say I was amazed at the number of traffic wardens and parking enforcement lorries around Lambeth on a Saturday lunchtime.

Credit to Lambeth Council however as their reponse to my query about parking was quick and helpful.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on parking please

>>> mazed at the number of traffic wardens and parking enforcement lorries around Lambeth on a Saturday lunchtime. <<<

I assume that Lambeth, like the majority of London boroughs, has franchised its parking enforcement to a commercial company. As the usual arrangement is that they keep (in effect) a portion of the fines, they don't miss a chance to enforce a transgression and increase their revenue.

7. Re: Advice on parking please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 03:20