We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise Engagement Trip

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Surprise Engagement Trip

Hi. I am from Northern Ireland and I am planning on proposing to my partner during our first trip to London in May 2007. I have already purchased theatre tickets (Dirty Dancing Show) and would like some information on this show, flights, hotels and the tube/train system.The following paragraph explains my current trip ideas, although nothing has been booked to-date:

I have initially planned to take easyjet flights from Belfast to London Gatwick (approx £100.00). Then, take the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station (approx £50.00 return). Then I was considering staying at the B&B Belgravia at Ebury Street (4Nights @ approx £400). I hope to purchase an engagement ring at a Tiffany & Co Outlet in London and then propose somewhere romantic. Any advice so far would be most helpful.

I am also open to ideas on places to go & visit during our 4 days in London & on any recommendations on different hotels, trains, buses or flights that may improve my trip.

Finally, as the theatre show is at Aldwych Theatre, I was wondering if anyone knew of a romantic but not too expensive restaurant for a pre-theatre meal near the Aldwych Theatre. Any advice on tube stations and bus travel routes for getting to the Aldwych Theatre and for getting around London would be helpful as well.

Thanks for reading this and PLEASE help.

London
Level Contributor
295 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise Engagement Trip

A few tips.

A romantic place to propose might be the Millennium Wheel (London Eye). It gives you a great view of London, in any case, so is worth doing if you've not been before. You can and should book online.

Not sure how you're going to manage to sneak off to Tiffany while your partner's looking the other way, but if she likes art you could see if there is an interesting exhibition at the Royal Academy on Piccadilly, which is just a few minutes on foot from Tiffany on Bond Street.

The Aldwych Theatre is nearest to Covent Garden tube, but you could also walk there from Holborn. You should invest in an Oyster card, which can be purchased online, if you are planning to use bus and tube much. London public transport is pricey, but with Oyster works out much cheaper, and this method is more convenient.

Gatwick Express definitely a good plan. See if you can fly with British Airways, who are often no more expensive than the so-called low cost operators and have more reliable service.

I don't know the B&B you mention, but it is a decent location. I can recommend a good cheap restaurant near your hotel - Jenny Lo's tea house on Eccleston Street.

The best places to eat near Aldwych are mainly in Covent Garden and Soho. These are quite touristy areas. Cafe Boheme on Old Compton Street and Arbutus on Frith Street (both Soho) I can recommend.

london
Level Contributor
149 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprise Engagement Trip

I agree with previous write - Arbutus is a good choice (probably a ten minute walk from the theatre) they do a three course set menu which is great value (consider it just won a michelin star).

A great place for a drink is the lobby bar of the One Alwych hotel - rather pricey but quite special.

For something really romantic - check out Andrew Edmunds... never fails to please. You will need to book about a week in advance - and do explain the purpose of your visit so you get a good table.

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for anywhere romantic to propose!

Don't stress too much about the tube - it's very easy to work out. Ask at the B&B about buses if you would prefer to get the bus.

Have fun!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprise Engagement Trip

Thank you so much guys. So much to take in but the more I know about central London the better. Great idea for the Art Gallery and was actually thinking about the London Eye to propose. Any more advice would be gladly welcomed by anyone.

Cheers again.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprise Engagement Trip

kgrant: For more ideas, you might want to read Opie's report; he proposed to his partner at St. Paul's.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k90547…

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,739 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surprise Engagement Trip

If you want to splash out your money, have a look at the london eye's website. They do a champagne ride, and you get the capsule to yourself. About £300 though!

www.londoneye.com/Celebration_fac.aspx…

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surprise Engagement Trip

I think that I shall let her choose a ring in Tiffany & Co. then see about getting it delivered to the hotel or at least 'kept-over' so I can collect it alone if I left her in the Royal Academy (as suggested above). I was considering the London Eye during a standrad capsule but I think that when the times right on the trip I shall pluck up the courage.

Since I made my original post I have been looking into restaurants that I could take her either before the theatre show or after it. Any ideas on decent, contemporary restaurants with a not too fancy menu in the Aldywich Theatre area? Also advice on getting from Victoria Station to the theatre (cheapest way) would be appreciated.

Further ideas on places to go etc. for our 4 day trip would be welcomed.

Thanks.

uk
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Surprise Engagement Trip

No advice, just wanted to say she's a lucky girl, how romantic.

d

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surprise Engagement Trip

Another nice place to get engaged would be dusk on the footbridge in St James park. It is a really beautiful spot. Your partner is a very lucky lady!!

What sort of budget are you thinking of for your dinner and any type of cusine you prefer?

London, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surprise Engagement Trip

What a sweet romantic guy you are...

If you are thinking of a B&B on Ebury St you could get the ring from Tiffany on Sloane Square (top of the Kings Road). I found that that branch doesn't get quite so full of 'tiffany tourists' - ie just browsing not buying as the Bond St branch.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surprise Engagement Trip

Hi.

Thanks for the last 2 posts. Great advice.

- In terms of cuisine, we both enjoy a chinese or brasserie style restaurant although we do not mind not just too outrageous (i.e. We are fed on potatoes over here!). Budget wise - I think a maximum of £80 for a full meal including drinks for 2 people is suitable (at least in Belfast). In Belfast we have alot of decent restaurants with good prices (e.g. 3 course meal approx £36 pp) but I do not have a clue in London in terms of 'value for money'. Anywhere contemporary and rather 'quiet' would be more ideal though for a pre-theatre or post-theatre meal. Few more questions on places to eat:

Is there anywhere, any knows that might be romantic AND modern? I am looking into the 'Cafe des Amis', any recent opinions on food, quality, reservations, travelling to/from etc. required at this place?

- In terms of purchasing the ring from Tiffany & Co, I was wondering if anyone has bought from any of the boutiques in central London? Do they offer a delivery service to a hotel (anyone tried even?)? Has anyone ANY advice on rings at the Tiffany & Co. either at Old Bond Street or Sloane Square? If unsuccessful in Tiffany & Co, is there anywhere else in central London worth considering buying an engagement ring DURING the trip?

PS - Thanks for the tip on the Sloane Square location.

Thanks (again).