We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day/One night trip from London to Brussels or Amsterdam ??

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
293 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Day/One night trip from London to Brussels or Amsterdam ??

Hi,

I've been going back in forth. I will be in London for about a week, and would like to take either a day trip to Brussels via Eurostar or taking a short plane ride to Amsterdam. What would you do? The prices are about the same so far that I've researched. Is going to Gatwick for a 1 day trip from Central London too much trouble, vs taking the Eurostar? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

- Al -

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day/One night trip from London to Brussels or Amsterdam ??

I think Amsterdam is a much more interesting place, but I'm not sure if it is really too far for a day trip. Overnight would be much better.

You can go to Brussels for the day but despite having been there many times and read how it has a wonderful museum, I have never managed to like it one little bit.

Paris is ideal for a day trip, and Lille is excellent as well.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day/One night trip from London to Brussels or Amsterdam ??

I've taken the eurostar day trip to Brussels. I was able to comfortably get in all I wanted to see in a single day. Generally I find the eurostar terminal much easier to manage than any of the airports.

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day/One night trip from London to Brussels or Amsterdam ??

I have just booked a day trip myself to Amsterdam. We are flying out first thing from London Stansted and then back around 22.00. I have also done lots of other day trips within Europe, some of the further destinations being Gerona and Barcelona (Spain), Rome and Porto. A day trip is easily do able for flights up to 2.5 hours from London. Anything over that and it makes it a very long day.

I have also done a day trip to Brussels. I hate to say it but, after an hour or so we felt we had seen all there was to see. I would deffinately say Amsterdam would be a great day trip. Depending on which part of London you are coming from Paris with the Eurostar may be easier.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,427 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day/One night trip from London to Brussels or Amsterdam ??

Central Amsterdam is small enough to make it ideal for a (very long) day trip. You can get to Gatwick in 30 minutes from Victoria by the Gatwick Express train. There are 4 trains an hour and although it's more expensive than the local Southern service it is that little bit quicker and a lot more comfortable.

From Schipol Airport there are regular fast trains to the centre of Amsterdam.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day/One night trip from London to Brussels or Amsterdam ??

You could also consider flying from London City Airport, which is out east in the Docklands. It caters manly to shorthaul, business destinations in Europe - like Brussels and Amsterdam. No budget airlines fly out of it, so prices are higher, but it is very small compared to the other airports and is only 25 minutes from Bank by DLR.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
293 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day/One night trip from London to Brussels or Amsterdam ??

Thank you all for your responses! =)

England
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day/One night trip from London to Brussels or Amsterdam ??

Hi.

Paris, Lille or Brussels are all great destinations via the Eurostar and you can get good deals by booking early and being flexible about dates. Personally I'd pick Lille over Brussels as being more scenic and having more to offer a visitor.

I've also been to Amsterdam for the day by air from Gatwick. It was a great trip and worth doing, provided, of course, you don't get delays on the outbound journey which can seriously impact on your time. It's then a short and easy train ride from the airport into Amsterdam.

8. Re: Day/One night trip from London to Brussels or Amsterdam ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 14:21