We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need train Derby

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia,USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need train Derby

We will be arriving at Heathrow airport and need to get to Derby on the same day. I am considering taking the train (can't face a long bus ride after the flight). I have figured out that I need to get a ticket on the Midlant Mainline that leaves from St. Pancras station, Now the fun starts. What exactly is the best wasy to get to St. Pancras. where the train leaves from. Will the construction still be a problem in May? Also what is the best type of train ticket. I have become very confused reading about all the different fares. Thanks so much if anyone out there knows the answer.

Susan

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need train Derby

The quickest way to get to St Pancras is to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, then the Circle line from there to King's Cross, then walk the short distance to St Pancras. The HEX costs about £15 for a single (one way) ticket if you book online, and the Tube journey will be £4.

Heathrow Connect is a stopping train that runs from LHR to Paddington - the journey takes a bit longer, but a single is just £6.90.

If you have enough time, you can take the Tube from LHR to King's X for just £4, then walk to St Pancras. This journey will take the longest time, about an hour and a quarter, but is the easiest in the sense that you needn't change from one Tube line to another.

Getting from the HEX to the Tube at Paddington isn't too much of a pain, as there are no steps to negotiate between the Tube ticket office and the eastbound Circle line. King's X is five stops along, but the trip doesn't take more than 15 minutes, if the system is operating as it should.

When are you going in May? If on a Sunday, there may be a reduced service to Derby, as Sundays are the usual days for track maintenance and repair. If you can get to St Pancras for a train that departs before 1400, you may be able to buy one of the very cheap Advance single fares for £15 or less. Do note that these fares require advance purchase, and come with fairly stringent rules - if you miss your train at 1400, you'll likely need to buy another ticket for the 1425 departure.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need train Derby

Hi, Susan and welcome to the forum! Probably the easiest way to get to St. Pancras is to take the tube (Piccadilly line) and just stay on till you get to the Kings Cross/St. Pancras stop. Or, if you're in a hurry, and are taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington station, you could take the Circle line tube to Kings Cross/St. Pancras.

As for train tickets, on www.nationalrail.co.uk, I popped in dates in February/March, and the cheapest return (round trip) fare is £47.70 though singles (one-way) are available starting at £9.00.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need train Derby

Hi

I travel between London and Derby alot and if you can travel off peak the best fares are definitely singles. I find www.thetrainline.com a good place to book or you can call National Rali Enquiries and they'll advise you on cheapest fares/availability 00448457484950.

Tickets can be booked up to 3 months in advance and the best times for a cheaper ticket tend to be between 12-3 and after 8.30pm.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need train Derby

Forgot to mention the cheap fares are pre pay and non transferable so they're only valid for one train at a set time (though the advantage is your seat is booked). I've found the guards at St Pancras pretty good though and if you miss the train due to connection problems/delays beyond your control they'll normally sign off the ticket for you to travel on the next availble train. Though obviously you'll have lost your seat reservation so if it's full you could end up standing.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,078 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need train Derby

Not a fan of thetrainline - it charges for CC use - whereas none of the rail companies do. They all use the same basic software & database and the ticket delivery options are the same so I can't see the point of being charged extra for the same service

I'd book over the Midland Mainline website itself just in case it has some offers particular to Midland Mainline that you find useful

www.midlandmainline.com/mainpage.aspx?id=324

Georgia,USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need train Derby

Thank you so much all of you. This was enormously helpful. I can easily take off-peak so I should be able to get a good deal. The only way that I can mess up is if my flight from the states is horrilby delayed. I think that I will take my cnances. Thanls again.

Susan

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need train Derby

Good advice above, post again against Derby if you require advice about your destination.

London
Level Contributor
812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need train Derby

A little-publicised fact is that tea and coffee is free on Midland Mainline!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need train Derby

...and that part of first class on certain trains has been declassified so that you can sit in 1st with a standard ticket. Most people miss the little signs on the windows.

10. Re: Need train Derby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 13:16