We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet Lag

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
180 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Jet Lag

Anyone have ideas to overcome/minimize jet lag? We have a 9 hour difference between Seattle and London and don't want to waste any precious hours of our trip...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet Lag

Type "jet lag" in the search field above and you'll find many, many suggestions given in previous threads. Good luck!

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet Lag

Don't have a nap. Stay awake until 9-10pm in London and then go to bed. You should sleep most of the night and be more or less on the right time zone the next morning.

In saying that, some people need the nap so really it is all up to the individual. I find that staying awake works the best for me.

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet Lag

what time are you arriving in London - that may make the 'nap' thought different (if you arrive @ 6am for example - a brief mid afternoon nap might help - when I say brief..no more than an hour)

But if you arrive say mid-morning or later, try to avoid naps as much as you can and are physically able. scheduling a walking tour is helpful or just plan your sightseeing with some walking in mind.

Try to eat on "London" time - eating a lunch at lunchtime, etc. Make reservations for dinner in advance so you have something to look forward to in the evening, and not have to look for something that day when your brain is 'fogged'.

(check out toptable.co.uk for restaurant listings and reservations - they list all types)

Get to bed about 9pm or so for a good night's sleep and you should be set for "London" time the next morning.

avoid alcohol on the flight - but if you must, limit yourself to one. Eat breakfast on the flight when it is served (gets the blood sugar levels going)

a friend of mine recommends and swears by melatonin taken on the flight to help sleep (again, this is if you have an overnight flight) -a little easier on the system than an actual sleeping pill.

(I've never tried this method though - perhaps someone else can give first hand experience?)

NDP

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet Lag

On the airplane drink lots of water and try to grab at least 2 hours (I never manage anymore than this and I fly from New Zealand!). I have a glass of wine with the meal and I find this helps to relax me.

When you get here, try to get into as normal routine as possible. If you arrive at 6am, perhaps consider having a second breakfast around 9ish once you get into your hotel. Then have a light lunch and dinner at normal times. If you do have a nap, do so late morning/early afternoon and set an alarm clock or arrange a wake up call and only let yourself sleep for 2 hours at the most.

Another trick that works for me is spending most of the day outside in the fresh air. So think about spending time in parks etc.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet Lag

We have the same problem (time zone) because we are in Los Angeles.

You won't have much of a problem going over. If you are arriving in London in the morning, you may be able to take a very short nap in the afternoon (never, ever more than an hour). If you are arriving in the afternoon, just stay up. Check into your hotel and then plan some light sightseeing in the afternoon. After dinner you will probably feel like the walking dead, so don't plan any evening activities. Go to bed around 9pm. You'll wake up very early the next morning (probably around 5am). From then on you really won't have any problems with jet lag.

Coming home will be another issue. Last time we were up 23 hours on our trip home (getting up, breakfast, heading to the airport and waiting, the flight, a connection in San Francisco, etc.). It always takes me 2-3 days to recover after I get home.

Have fun!

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet Lag

ntz4bbl~

yes, I conveniently try to forget the coming home part - it is always harder on me as well!

simplyAmerican-for coming home, I would suggest that you plan your trip if you can so you have a day or two at home to 'decompress' before you have to head back to work, etc. I've never much found a good way to get over the coming home jet lag - I'm usually fine the next day until about 3pm (we are 5-6 hours difference depending on the time of year) and then I become a zombie...

ndp

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet Lag

I suffer badly from Jet Lag. I found only two approaches that work.

1. Take a day flight--Easy to do from the east coast, but maybe not from the west coast.

2. Have no caffiene and only light food the day of the flight. Take a late flight. On the flight, take a light tranquellizer or mild sleeping pill just after dinner, put in earplugs and put on eye shades. Get as much sleep as possible. When you get to London, either check into your hotel and sleep for no more than 1 1/2 hours, or just force your way throught the day with coffee. Eat lots of carbs and hit the sack that night.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
200 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jet Lag

On our recent trip to Thailand, I tried a homeopathic supplement, No Jet-Lag. It worked surprisingly well. We were on a plane for 15 hours from LA to Hongkong arriving at 6am. I was able to handle the day without a problem.

It is available at drugstore.com and probably elsewhere.

Deb

9. Re: Jet Lag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 22:50
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jet Lag

Has anyone tried those 10 minute massages at Heathrow that the BA site talks about? I wondered about that to get the circ going and maybe avoid the jet lag??? Or is that just a sell?