We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London for the Blind

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Africa
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Topic
London for the Blind

My husband is blind but a great sport. We will be visiting London in June. He does not want to visit the very visual attractions. Where can he go to breathe, feel and hear London. He is a labour lawyer - so maybe the industrial tribunals? is there an organisation that will assist blind travellers

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London for the Blind

Take him to the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand. Although those courts rarely deal with Labour law, the variety of legal cases available on any given day during the legal term is quite staggering. I have no doubt that he would be entranced by sitting in on a few of the cases there.

Also, it would be a good idea to go and see a play or a musical.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London for the Blind

Would a market like Borough Market (food - Friday & Saturday) or Columbia Road Flower Market (Sundays) appeal. I am sure that there must be an website with ideas about good places to go in London.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London for the Blind

I also did a quick google search using the terms london + travel + disabled and came up with this guide -

hostelbookers.com/guides/…disabled_travel

which might be useful, it has reviews of a variety of major sites. A quick read of the Tate Britian piece revealed that they have regular "touch tours".

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London for the Blind

tourismforall.org.uk/pages/…attractions.htm

The main organistaion for blind people is the RNIB (Royal Institute for the Blind). I haven;t checked their site, but you may find something there. Otherwise, I did a search on Google ("visually impaired tour london") and it returned a few useful sites such as the one above. (I've recently been on a course for helping blind children and we were told to use the term "visually-impaired". It may be a UK thing, but I pass this on anyway).

Many museums do (and must, I think) provide acoustic and touch guides to allow access to people with vision problems (or blindness).

If you want to breather London, then Kew Gardens is probably a good location. The Houses of Parliament is probably a good place to hear London, as would be many of the markets.

London
Level Contributor
864 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London for the Blind

The RNIB is the main charity and help service for the blind in the UK.

Their website has a section with hints and tips for leisure/vacation activities with links to other relevant plus you can contact them for any more specific info - rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/P…

He might enjoy speakers corner in Hyde Park on the weekends, generally entertaining and some of the speakers can get quite animated - my gran, who was also blind, used to enjoy going there when the family came up to visit me!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London for the Blind

A couple more thoughts:

- attend a a sung evensong in St Pauls cathedral - great for all visitors.

- brass rubbing at St Martins will give areal feel for soem of our old gravestones

-taking a guided walk. Original London Walks guides are always knowledgeable and fun: www.walks.com

Hope this helps.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London for the Blind

HMS belfast (in thames oppsite tower of london)

would you consider a trip to manchester. labour history museum... they would look after you!! and you can hear old trafford from there

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London for the Blind

Hi,

We had some interesting posts on the topic of travelling with a guide dog, which you may find useful if your husband has one:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k73475…

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,087 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London for the Blind

You could be in the audience for the recording of a BBC Radio programme. Look on the BBC website.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,087 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London for the Blind

PS Here is a website for an association of blind lawyers

http://www.vision2020uk.org.uk/

I would definitely contact them as you might be able to meet up with someone and make friends in London.