We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yelverton

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Yelverton

I am trying to research family history on John Yelverton who migrated to North Caroline in the late 1600's. He was married to an Elizabeth Blount. Any ideas on where to start researching in the Norwich/Yelverton area? I just got back from the UK and am going back within a year to research this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yelverton

To research family history you can do a search for an advisor who will charge you or try the local library for the area you want to look. Most council library websites have some help.

The Councils are all www."something".gov.uk try the name of the county or the name of the city or town. Sometimes we have quaint area names that are hard to guess but the county website should lead you to them.

For Norfolk the link would be the Family Netway on www.norfolk.gov.uk/consumption/idcplg…

Mentioned in this post
Norfolk
Norfolk
East Anglia, UK
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yelverton

Hi

I'm no expert on family history although I have used the census website to find my Victorian relatives. One thing though - Elizabeth Blount, known as Bessie, was a mistress of Henry viii and had children by him. This is obviously in Tudor times and not the late 1600's but you may get somewhere trying the Blount side of the family. Might be well documented due to the Royal connection in the past. Apologies if you already knew this.

M

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yelverton

Thanks BigDave I will type that address in and see what pops up - and keep at it until I get a hit. One of those little parishes will have information.

Morgana - thanks a bunch and I mean that sincerely - I knew about Henry's mistress and that is one of the mysteries in our family - her son's story and one of our family legends really are similar. The Blount's are found everywhere on both sides of the ocean in Norfolk and North Carolina. Since like hung out with like back then I keep hoping that some little thread will lead me to our John and Elizabeth.

You are both so good to help. I am going to have to come over and just stay the distance until I hit paydirt.

I can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Norfolk
Norfolk
East Anglia, UK
Get answers to your questions about Norwich