We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwich in May

Which Norwich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Norwich in May

We will be in Norwich for 5 days in late May 2012. What would you suggest as a few things to see? We like parks, walking, pubs, exploring etc. Thanks.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norwich in May

Norwich labels itself 'a fine city'. It's quite a busy place, but has a sort of old world charm about it, so you don't get the feeling of hustle and bustle with somewhere like London.

It's a good shopping centre, and there are several museums, the most notable of which is the Castle. There's also an 'old' quarter around Elm Hill, very narrow, cobbled streets. Plenty of good restaurants. It also has two cathedrals, one RC the other C of E.

Realistically I'd allow a couple of days to see most of what there is to see in Norwich itself.

You haven't mentioned transport. Close by are the Norfolk Broads, an extensive system of navigable rivers that actually extend right into Norwich . You can get river trips , or explore the wider area yourself if you have a car.

Alternatively, there are a couple of 'local service' railway lines, the Bittern Line which goes to Cromer and Sheringham up on the North Norfolk coast. Sheringham has a preservation steam railway, the poppy line. There's also a narrow gauge railway from Wroxham to Aylsham, the Bure Valley Railway.

The Wherry line sort of crosses some of the area of the Broads, going to Great Yarmouth or further down the coast to Lowestoft. GY is a typical seaside holiday town, some people love it others hate it. Personally I find it OK when you recognise it for what it is.

Top Tip when in Norwich, morning coffee at Caley's in the old Guildhall. Try the hot chocolate with rum!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norwich in May

Wow, someone from Santa Fe coming to my city. My wife and I had 8 great days split between Albuquerque and Santa Fe a few years back.

The post above covers most things, Norwich is a lovely, walkable city. For pubs, I would suggest walking from the Compleat Angler along the river to the Red Lion, which is a gorgeous spot. From there head up towards the Cathedral and around to the Adam & Eve and further up the Wig & Pen. You are then seconds from a huge selection of city pubs such as the Ribs of Beef. If the sun is shining hop on a 25 or 35 bus and do a crawl around the Golden Triangle pubs, some very nice beer gardens at York Tavern, Garden House and the Unthank Arms.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norwich in May

And don't forget to take in the Fat Cat! http://www.fatcatpub.co.uk/

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norwich in May

For real ale and continental beers the Fat Cat is tough to beat in Norwich, so if the sun isn't shining head there, there is no beer garden unless you call a few benches that look out onto parked cars on a street a beer garden.

If you do venture out to the Golden Triangle, get a map. It can be mazelike to a visitor.....

Enjoy Norwich!

Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Norwich in May

Thanks for the tips. One of our reasons for visiting is that my wife's ancester is from Norwich, William Nickerson who came to the US in 1637 or so. Always wanted to see where he came from. ju123, glad you enjoyed NM.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norwich in May

Not a problem. Unfortunately, the one thing I can guarantee is you won't find food as good as you have in New Mexico.

Have a great trip and do let us know how you get on. Norwich is lovely in May.

Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Norwich in May

Will do.

We are sure the tea will be very superior in Norwich and my wife is excited about that!!

Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Norwich in May

We will be staying at The Maids Head Hotel. Would you recommend walking to and from the Golden Triangle area or would a bus be better?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Norwich in May

It is walkable but long. Walk 3-4mins to Castle Meadow and hop on a 25 or 35 bus, it will have University on the front. Cost £2.40 single, walk back in perhaps?

Lots of pubs within minutes of each other off Unthank and Earlham roads, Fat Cat is a little further over Dereham Road. It is mainly residential so don't expect much else, but the beer gardens at the Garden House, Unthank Arms and York Tavern are extremely nice. Do try and get to the Plough on St. Benedicts also, the best beer garden in the city!

Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Norwich in May

Thanks