We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to drive out from Norwich?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,398 posts
126 reviews
164 helpful votes
Best time to drive out from Norwich?
Save

Hi everyone,

We did decide on the trip extension and now I'm booking our car.

We move from Norwich to Aylsham on Thursday 29th March. Is there a heavy peak traffic period heading out of Norwich? Would a departure around 4 or 5 o'clock be a sensible plan or should we aim to head out at a time when road is quieter?

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
65 reviews
77 helpful votes
1. Re: Best time to drive out from Norwich?
Save

Sorry, too many unknowns to give a proper answer.

Are you hiring the car specifically as you leave Norwich to get to Aylsham? If so, where from? Whereabouts are you staying? If you're staying near the airport - the north side of Norwich - you're absolutely in the right place for the A140 Cromer Road. If another part then you've either to make your way through the city or a slow stop-start journey around the ring road.

Between 4 and 5 pm is when shoppers start to leave Norwich and the evening rush hour begins.

4 posts
2. Re: Best time to drive out from Norwich?
Save

Anytime is a good time to drive out of Norwich

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,398 posts
126 reviews
164 helpful votes
3. Re: Best time to drive out from Norwich?
Save

Thanks Broadlandwanderer,

We're staying in St Giles Street, and will pick up a hire car that day. Haven't booked the car yet, but I'm thinking probably from Enterprise. Sounds like it would be wise to plan to leave in the early afternoon at the latest.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
65 reviews
77 helpful votes
4. Re: Best time to drive out from Norwich?
Save

You've picked just about the worst place to get used to your vehicle! The road junction there is an absolute pig for the unknowing, but you are in the right place for leaving for Aylsham. When making your booking, it might be wise to ask Enterprise if they'd get the vehicle out on the Cromer Road.

http://g.co/maps/zrh9g

Enterprise cars is a few yards east of the position shown on the map. Eversley Road is blocked off, so you can't get through there. Use street view for a look at the intersection/road junction.

Couple of tips, the Waffle House on St Giles Street is good for eating, and take a short walk down towards the Guildhall for a coffee at Caleys - no, not coffee, try a hot chocolate with navy rum!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
100 reviews
221 helpful votes
5. Re: Best time to drive out from Norwich?
Save

I would get going after lunch. Norwich traffic is notorious but on the plus side you won't be driving in the worst of it if you plan on picking the car up at Enterprise.

Once the Boundary junction is dealt with it's easy to get on Cromer Road and then you have a straight road to Aylsham.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,398 posts
126 reviews
164 helpful votes
6. Re: Best time to drive out from Norwich?
Save

Thanks for the advice Broadlandwanderer and ju123, I am glad I asked. :o)

7. Re: Best time to drive out from Norwich?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.