We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday lunch

England
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sunday lunch

Hello

We will be staying in Norwich for a long weekend, staying at the South Premier Inn and on the Sunday would like to go our for Sunday lunch to a pub that serves good food and is child friendly with a nice atmosphere.

Is there anywhere nearby or a few miles away from the Premier Inn you could recommend.

Thank you.

Norwich Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites
The Broads
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Bodies of Water
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday lunch

Hi,

Do you mind the city centre?

I'm just thinking you have Garfunkles in one of the shopping centres, you have Slug and Lettuce almost opposite the forum down a side path and seems very popular which does take kids I've been in there as well as Bella Italia, Wetherspoons etc. There's also a good pub in the Castle Mall, can't remember about child friendlyness though. Off the top of my head, you may be better in the centre for choice and selection.

Sorry I can't name anywhere else particular the m&s kitchen is good but not what you're after it seems.

England
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday lunch

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I just goggle slug and lettuce and looks like it has closed down in Norwich. The pub in Castle Mall could be an option, we would prefer a pub for a Sunday roast but will give the M&S kitchen a try over the weekend.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday lunch

The Cock Tavern at Cantley. It's listed here, but you MUST book for Sunday Lunch - any lunch for that matter - as they are very popular pretty much every day of the week. Very unlikely that you'll get a table on a walk-in.

http://bit.ly/xfkrWG

Sunday lunch, beef, lamb, pork, turkey, a couple of veggie options, and two or three other choices. £7-£8 a head less for (young) children. Pretty much everything is cooked on the premises, no bought-in food here. 4/5 beers on the handle, and a good selection of other beers and lagers, something like 70-80 malts available.

It's about 10-15 minutes travel from where you are.

Needless to say, it's our regular Sunday lunch stop.

Edited: 05 March 2012, 16:15
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday lunch

If you head into Norwich you should try traditional pubs rather than chains. All will be child friendly for Sunday lunch, just be careful of any live football which might spoil the experience.

If I had to pick a top 3 I would go for Coach & Horses (near train station), Wig & Pen or Kett's Tavern. All serve great food.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday lunch

You're quite right, I don't know when it closed but that seems to have come all of a sudden.

England
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday lunch

I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply to my post and we are now spoilt for choice which is a good thing. I will take into account any home games. Thank you.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday lunch

The Slug and Lettuce was on Queen Street, some way from the Forum so my guess is you may have been thinking of Henry's which is a short walk from the Forum almost opposite Top Shop. This is now called The Lamb which is the old name (prior to becoming Rat & Parrott and Henry's) but not at all like the traditional pub it used to be, which to some may or may not be a good thing.

The Slug and Lettuce is now Cuba De Revolution. Same owner, different theme and is actually good. They do have an excellent lunch special for £5 every day and add a drink for £1. It is more of a drinkers place though (more so on a Friday/Saturday night) and the food is a limited take on Cuban cuisine. It has never been busy at all when we have gone in on a Sunday lunchtime.

I can't for the life of me think which pub is in the mall. If it was Auberge, this has also closed and is now an NHS walk in clinic.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday lunch

Ah, sorry about that it might have well been that one, it was near Subway and one of the exits so I'm surprised that's happened but it's gone. I will add I've had good food at Bella Italia (branch near the bus station) and Garfunkles if it helps.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday lunch

The Unthank Arms (www.theunthankarms.com) is lovely and serves sunday lunch all day so you wouldn't have to rush to get there for a certain time. It is in the area of Norwich known as the "Golden Triangle" which is a lovely (I live here so slightly biased!) area.

There is a car park too.

Hope you have a lovely time

Teresa

England
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday lunch

Thanks Teresa, looks like we going to be spoilt for choice:-))