We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,541 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

We plan to pick up a hire car on a Monday a.m. in Norwich from Norwich Car Hire on Paddock street and drive to the Duxford/Linton area. Since we currently drive on the other side of the road, we will need to get used to the car/traffic. Can you suggest a route out of Norwich that would allow us to get accustomed to the car and traffic? Any other suggestions welcome.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

Are you going for an automatic? At least that way you don't have to worry about changing gears.

http://g.co/maps/cgxth

First, at roundabouts ALWAYS give way to traffic approaching from your right and travel clockwise!

Paddock street is a cul-de-sac, so you will need to head south and turn right into Barker Street. Right again into Heigham Street, follow this and turn right into Mile Cross Road.(A1024). Turn left onto Drayton Road (A1067) at roundabout. Bear left onto Sweetbriar Road (A140). Follow this road, straight on at next two R/As. Bear right (third exit) at next R/A onto Newmarket Road (A11).

This isn't the most direct way, but the first mile or so the traffic will be a bit lighter. It'll pick up on Drayton Road and more so on the A140 which is the outer ring road, but at least you'll have two or three miles to get used to the car before you need to turn onto the A11.

Follow the A11 south for about 30-40 miles, through Thetford and Elveden which is the only section of single carriageway - Elveden is a notorious black spot for accidents. You shouldn't have any problems there as long as you obey the traffic lights at the cross roads.

Keep going south, the A11 merges onto the A14 for about 6 miles, then you need to keep an eye open for the exit where the A11 leaves the A14. Keep south on the A11 until you reach Fourwentways where you need to turn off on the A505 for Duxford.

If you miss the A11 slip road off the A14 don't worry, you can reach Duxford from the Cambridge area, you need to look at a map, though.

Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,541 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

Thank you, absolutely going for an automatic! Hired a car in Ireland in 2007 with automatic and it was a life saver. I do appreciate your guidance.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

The Highway Code:

direct.gov.uk/en/…DG_070202

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

Hi,

If its not too late the trains to Cambridge are hourly, comfy and fast. Then, Duxford is easily accessible by bus and Linton is on a half hourly service to Cambridge but if you want to go Duxford -> Linton you'd need to change at Addenbrookes Hospital.

I'm just thinking are you comfy driving on uk roads, as if not trains and the buses may be better. The services you'd need for Duxford from the train station is the no 7 to War Museum on the display. Linton village is on the 13/13A destination: Haverhill if you want the centre of the village don't take the x13 it skips the village centre.

Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,541 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

Sawston is also one of the villages we want to visit as my wife's mother was born there. Is there a bus from Cambridge to Sawston?

Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
9,541 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

Broadland Wanderer-I have reviewed your route and especially appreciate the left turns onto Drayton Road and Sweetbriar Road, my recollection from driving in Ireland in 2007 is that first left at the Roundabout (R/A right?) was always the easiest for me. Is it also customary to use the car signal for exits on the R/A?

We plan to stay in Linton-from my map it looks like we take the A 1307 exit-is there an exit?

also, mention an A-11 slip road, is this a side road (what we might call a frontage road in the US) I assume this junction is not an R/A?

Thanks,

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

The R/As you will be using at the start of your journey are all smallish. Drivers here tend not to signal, more from bad habits than anything. It won't do any harm if you signal, especially on the approach to a R/A where you're taking the first exit left, otherwise do what the locals do!

Slip roads are most often used on motorways and high speed major roads in the UK. They allow motorists to change route without having to slow traffic on the main road. The A11 and the A14 are both major roads, The A11 merges onto the A14 then splits off later using slip roads. In this case the idea is that traffic can continue on both roads at speed.

http://g.co/maps/k5h6h is a real close up of the interchange near Linton. This shows that the A11 continues as a dual carriageway, with slip roads onto a R/A where you can turn onto the A1307. The idea is to separate turning traffic from high speed through traffic.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

There is a bus to Sawston a number 7 destination Sawston. You can't get one direct from Linton to Sawston by bus you do have to change at Addenbrookes Hospital if coming from Linton. The buses from Addenbrookes to Sawston sometimes do meet up with the 13 on some occasions but there isn't much of a wait usually. To get the timetables have a look at http:///www.stagecoachbus.com/Cambridge/ sometimes you have to select the area as Cambridge to get the right timetable but if you get a multibus or day rider plus around £6 or so that will cover all buses for the day.

When you come off the a11 by car at Four Went Ways you take the first left turn when coming down from the Norwich direction but if you come by bus although it does pass the bottom of the road past the Centintal Hotel, with luggage I'd actually suggest going back to Drummer Street for a better chance of a seat and space for luggage, I know you double back but I find that's the best option in my opinion.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

You couldn't have picked an easier route to drive tbh - it's a straight shot down the A11 with most junctions on the way grade separated

On dual carriageway roads the exits are ALWAYS on the left - you are never asked to take a ramp from the right hand side. Also they are signposted well in advance, usually a mile out with a repeater at half a mile and another just before the junction. So it's dead easy

Linton is a nice village, good choice. And very easy to get to Duxford and Sawston from there. Don't miss Saffron Walden while in the area, lovely mediaeval town.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Norwich to Duxford/Linton by rental car

Yes, you won't have a problem I live in the village and I know it's no problem.

By the way, there is a Tuesdays only direct bus to Saffron Walden only twice in both directions, if you are interested can you pease reply to this thread, as I had a feeling the times were changing