We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January in Norwich..and other questions

BEAVERTON
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
January in Norwich..and other questions

Hello,

My daughter will be attending UEA for a semester on a Canadian exchange.

I will be accompanying her ( she's quite capable, but the mother in me...you know..) Anyway I am looking for accomodations for the first week of January , either hotel or B&B, relatively close to the university, but with easy acces to city centre/ shopping malls.

We need to buy things like bedding , as we don't want to bring it from home..any advice where one can find those for a reasonable price. As well she needs a cell phone..again suggestions...

Finally , as I will be in Norwich for a week, any thoughts on, events taking place that week, other areas that are worth a visit , accesible by bus, etc.

Looking forward to visiting your lovely city,

Harriet

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January in Norwich..and other questions

I work at UEA, have you thought about trying Broadview Lodge which offers accommodation onsite? You could use the very frequent 25, 25A or 25X buses to get to the city centre. Alternatively, hotels we book include Georgian House which is on the 25 route and walkable to the city (a long walk to UEA) and the Premier Inns are good value (Riverside and Duke Street). For bedding Wilkinsons in the city might be worth a look, mobile phone shops galore in the city centre.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January in Norwich..and other questions

This may help with ideas to keep you occupied for a week

www.visitnorwich.co.uk/things-to-do.aspx

Must-dos for me, a visit to the Waffle House restaurant, a morning coffee in Waterstones book shop - the cafe is on the first floor, also a morning coffee at Caleys in the Guildhall, or better still a hot chocolate with a dash of rum! Also a wander in and around the Forum, a huge building that houses our central library, the 2nd Air Division memorial library,

http://www.theforumnorwich.co.uk/

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January in Norwich..and other questions

You can pick up nice bedding in most supermarkets, particularly Sainsburys, ASDA or Tesco - very reasonably priced.

Great Yarmouth...
Destination Expert
for Norwich, Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
615 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January in Norwich..and other questions

I agree that Wilkinsons is a good place to head for bedding and all the other things that a student needs to set up home. Its right on the road where the UEA bus stops too, so load yourselves up and hop on.

In addition to the must dos already mentioned, for heritage visit the Cathedral and the Castle, for a night out don't miss a traditional British pantomime at the Theatre Royal .

BEAVERTON
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January in Norwich..and other questions

Thanks for the advice...will def check out the castle, cathedral and am just looking at tickets for Alladin at Theatre Royal......Also thought about B&B's in Norwich..any advice on that? As well, I am an avid hiker (not great distances mind you) and would love to hear any local advice on 5 to 10 miles hikes in the area.

6. Re: January in Norwich..and other questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 December 2012, 11:35
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January in Norwich..and other questions

There is nice riverwalk around Norwich. Our route (which we often do on Sundays in Winter) is start at Tombland, walk down Upper King Street and then King Street itself over the Julian Bridge to Riverside along to Prince of Wales Road and down the side of the Compleat Angler pub and then follow the river as far as you can (basically to the Ribs of Beef pub). You will see great views of the Cathedral, grounds and also walk past Pulls Ferry and Cow Tower. A very gentle walk (barely a hike) but you get to see Norwich from a different perspective, just a shame that the best part is beside Riverside Road (albeit the other side) which is very busy during the day with traffic and ruins the peace somewhat.

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January in Norwich..and other questions

My mum and myself visit Norwich to see her sister and we always stay at the Travelodge hotel (Norwich Central,Queens Road) and find it very pleasant.In the 1st week of Jan,the price is £28 per room,per night which is pretty good value.Breakfast is an additional price and the hotel also has a bar and restaurant.

Its located near to the bus station which is handy if you do want to get out and about and not far to the city centre.Not sure thou how far it is from UEA.

You could have a look on this website [www.uea.ac.uk] and you'll find a list of hotels and b & b's located near or fairly near to the Uni.

I would also suggest Primark (7-9 Haymarket) for bedding etc.,Very reasonable prices in this shop.........

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January in Norwich..and other questions

Hi, Glad to see you are coming to Norwich. One possibility for things to do is the Norwich Ghost Walk. I have been on it several times and it is always good fun and very interesting. It is a walk around the centre on Norwich and you will learn alot about the history of Norwich including when it was known as the capital of England. Google Norwich Ghost Walk and you should find some info, although not sure if it is still on in winter nowadays. We go to places like supermarkets for bedding but QD at anglia square is sometimes good for value its located in the city centre area. A walk through the Cathedral grounds which takes you round the river is nice. Depending on your budget for accomodation for yourself there are various bed abd breakfast places around. If your budget is slightly higher try thr Holiday Inn located next to Norwich City Footbal Club at Carrow Road, I work on behalf ofm them and its a really nice, well looked after hotel with good staff. Let me know if you stay and I will make sure you are looked after well. Its also worth a trip to the Norfolk coast and can make a lovely walk. Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else, hopefully we can welcome you to Norwich soon. :)

Great Yarmouth...
Destination Expert
for Norwich, Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
615 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January in Norwich..and other questions

There's a QD stores in the centre right next door to Wilkinsons on St Stephens. Slightly easier to get to than Anglia Square, not worth the walk out ther in my opinion.