We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels close to the UEA campus?

Which Norwich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gurgaon
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hotels close to the UEA campus?

Hullo, any recommendations for a hotel or B&B near the UEA? My daughter starts at the univ this Sept, and I'm dropping her off and staying on a week to help out (?) and also do a little local sightseeing. I would like to be within walking distance of the campus, but also near a bus stop for trips to the city centre. I expect that Broadview Lodge would be the simplest choice, being on campus, but I was hoping for a place with a little more character. And my budget would be 60-70 GBP. Thanks!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels close to the UEA campus?

There are quite a few B&Bs on Earlham Road and Unthank Road, which would be walking distance, just google "B&B Earlham Road" and check their ratings out on Trip Advisor. Do check on TA before booking, as some of them are quite grotty and run down. Otherwise the Premier Inn on Duke St is nice and central but you'd need to take the bus to UEA Campus. The Travelodge by the bus station is also convenient, 2 mins from the bus stop but it's next to a bus station which can obviously be noisy.

First 25 Serves the UEA and runs every 10-15 mins term time.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but does your daughter really want you around for a week? When I started uni in 2003 my parents were promptly dispatched back home to Norwich after dropping me off, I didn't want them cramping my style and nobody else had parents around that week. She may feel nervous now, but will be ok once she meets everyone else who are all in the same boat.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 11:13
East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels close to the UEA campus?

Nicely put Aaron. Much as I love my parents, they were the last people I wanted around that week !

Mike

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels close to the UEA campus?

I work at the UEA and sometimes book people into the Arrandale Lodge which is on Earlham Road about a 10-15 minute walk to the University depending on how quick you walk. I only hear positive comments on the property and the owners Maurice and Olga are always super friendly on email and phone.

www.norwichbedandbreakfast.co.uk

It is yards from a bus stop which will take you into the city (25A) or it is an easy 20-25 minute walk in from there anyway.

Another option and UEA recommended is the Georgian House on Unthank Road http://www.georgian-hotel.co.uk/ which is a very easy walk into the city and also on a bus route (25).

If you don't mind the bus every day the Premier Inn Nelson is well used by our Faculty and is literally across the road from the train station where the UEA bus service begins (25, 25A and X25). Great central location near the Riverside complex of restaurants and bars.

Gurgaon
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels close to the UEA campus?

Thank you, all. I checked out the B&Bs, and considering all the positiveTA reviews, have decided on the Arrandale Lodge on Earlham Road. Maurice and Olga responded promptly to my email...now all I have to figure out is how to render myself invisible for a week! But seriously, I'm travelling from India, last visited Britain for the Olympics, and am looking forward to seeing a bit more of your country than just London. So I did mean it about the sightseeing...but that's another question!

AaronB101, argyle_mikey, I promise that I'll drop my daughter off, and not haunt the UEA .

ju123, thanks for helping me decide on the Arrandale Lodge. Looking forward to it!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels close to the UEA campus?

Thank you for this post!! I spent far too much time looking on both Trip Advisor, hotels.com, and booking.com and plugging in addresses of the accomodations into google maps to see exactly how close they were to UEA. This hotel did not appear in any of my searches, though, it was not on any sites, so I am so glad to have found it, which I only was able to do through your post.

Gurgaon
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels close to the UEA campus?

Glad to have been of help, MaraPMaryland! I want you to know that I had the most comfortable stay at Arrandale. Olga and Maurice are excellent hosts. It is a 15 minute walk from the UEA, if you walk slowly, and for enjoyment, like I did.

7. Re: hotels close to the UEA campus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 November 2013, 12:35
8. Re: hotels close to the UEA campus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:17