We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
327 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

I've posted on several other trip advisor forums trying to get some ideas on how to spend a two week family vacation in England August 2009. We are a family of four: husband/wife and two teenagers. First visit to the U.K. We'll arrive and depart from London and will stay there four nights. The rest of the trip is up in the air. I had originally thought about the Devon/Cornwall coast...maybe taking train to Bath then train to Truro stay a few nights someplace like the Tresanton Hotel, then driving through the New forest to Portsmouth, back to London and fly home.

But, as I've said on many of these forums, I hate crowds and don't want to be driving on unfamiliar roads in unfamiliar places, several people have recommended I check out the Yorkshire Coast, Northumberland, Scarborough, etc. I would be interest in taking a train from London and not renting a car until absolutely necessary.

Just starting to get my feet wet looking at this particular part of your beautiful country, and am hoping for some travel suggestions, hotel recommendations, etc.

Hope I'm posting to the correct forum.

Thanks!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

Also wanted to add that we love the coastline, beaches, water and enjoy spending a couple of days in one place at a time to really get a feeling for it and meet some "real people". We try to avoid tours (and tour coaches ) like the plague.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

Can't really help with the driving, etc. I have been one time and I am also planning a trip for next year with my husband. You mentioned Bath, I went there the last time and absolutely loved it. When we go next year, I plan to spend 2 or 3 nights here. You have to visit the Roman Baths and have tea there. They also have a clothes muesum, which I would have loved to visit but we ran out of time. It is near Stonehenge, Salibury, etc. I travelled by train and had no problems.

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
522 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

The Yorkshire coast potentially has less to offer (beautiful but not quite as stunning as Cornwall, things to do but not quite as much for tourists, not really geared up towards surfing etc). However, you are right, there will be less tourists & traffic in Yorkshire, and you will find some areas (Flamborough, Bempton?) which are very quiet.

Start in York (a historic city, Roman & Viking, complete(?) set of walls) and head across to the coast. Whitby is the unmissable - a historic fishing town, links to Dracula & Captain Cook, abbey etc). Scarborough & Bridlington are traditional UK seaside towns. Both are likely to be crowded.

Between York & the coast you have the North Yorkshire Moors - heather, walking, famous steam railway & lovely little towns at Malton & Pickering.

Leaving York, heading away from the coast, you have the Yorkshire Dales (stunning scenery), Knaresborough (historic town, "petrifying" cave), Harrogate (spa town), Haworth (birthplace of the Brontes), Ilkley Moor & Leeds (shopping).

Never made it to Northumberland - you would have a relatively long drive passing industrial towns such as Middlesborough, Sunderland etc.

I would personally suggest North Wales as a third option (instead of Yorkshire/Cornwall). I think it might have the combination you are looking for of unspoilt scenery (mountains, castles, coastline), relatively uncrowded at that time of year, but still lots of things to do (mountain railway, castles, etc).

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

Yeh-looks like a bit of success.

This is possible without a car but one might help in places.

Suggest train to York-Englands best little City -and use this as base.

York itself has the Minster, Old Town, City Walls, National Railway Museum , Castle Museum , Jorvik Viking Experience and City Dungeons.

Your can get the train to Scarborough-seaside town with Castle, Harbour, good walking and Sea Life Centre. Also a good bus service to Whitby-Abbey, Harbour, Captain Cookand the whole Dracula connection.

Alternatively a bus to Pickering and get the staem train across the moors to Whitby-North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

You could spend a couple of nights in Pickering allowing you to walk on the moors, visit Flamingo Land (Amusement Park) and Eden Camp(WW2 museum) Or stay on the moor and do some walking. There are lots of villages but also lots of space.Have a look at www.yorkshiremoorsandcoast.com for more ideas.

Also worth considering a visit to Castle Howard(Brideshead Revisited)

There are some wonderful cliff clinging villages around Whitby-Runswick Bay, Robin Hoods Bay, Ravenscar and Staithes-there is great coastal walking between them-you could do them south to north with an overnight stop on the way.

Suggestion would be to have a base where they will hang onto your big luggage and go off walking with back packs. Somewhere like Pickering(OK I'm biased) would be ideal after a couple of days in York.

You can easily get over to the Yorkshire Dales from York using the train. Maybe Skipton would make a good base for a few days although Harrogate and Knaresborough would also work well. You could get train from Skipton to Settle with access to proper hill walking-all these places are well served with accommodation and buses.

After North Yorkshire I would suggest train to Durham-Cathedral is unbelievable- and then on to Northhumberland via Newcastle. The Northumberland Coast is breathtaking especially as you get further north. Recommend Bamburgh area to stay and explore from-local services will cover the area and give access to Holy Island(Lindisfarne). This might be the time for a car-give you access to Kielder, National Park and Scottish borders-the whole area is a walkers and outdoor fiends paradise with very few people and lots of space.

Yorkshire Tourist Board will be able to supply loads of info as will Northumbria Tourist Board.

For teenagers what about Surfing in Scarborough, Fossils hunting around Ravenscar, Hawking in Settle,also loads of moutaineering, caving, horse riding, off roading and much more.

The area is also well served for sporting events depending on time of visit-likely to be cricket in Chester le Street(Durham) athletics at Gateshead.

Both areas are very well served with top quality,5 Star , bed and breakfast properties and the whole range of hotels. If you are going to settle somewhere as abase for a week you could rent a cottage in one of the villages.

I could go on for hours-happy to supply more info and answer questions either through Forum or direct.

You will be amazed at how helpful the Tourism Authorities can be-you can get to them all through Visit Britain.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

Hi

Northumberland has some of the finest coastline in the uk. It is dotted with Castles. See www.bamburghcastle.com for one of the finest.If its history and great countryside your after you can not go wrong. Also it is on the East Coast Mainline about 3-3.5 hours from London.

If your teenagers need something else well London will entertain them so you could do a trade off!

best wishes

6. Re: Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 October 2015, 14:17
Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

Good point Diz-they are well worth a visit.

The Gardens at Alnwick should be on the list as should Cragside.

Hadrians Wall would tie in well with a trip west-especially if you were going to try and fit the Lake District in as well.

as I read my last post I can think of many things I have missed-there is just so much to see and do.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

Would like to reinforce the suggestions above. Northumberland is a lovely area of England, and except for a couple of places, less crowded.

Do see Holy Island, *well* worth it.

A car will allow you to move about and see so much more, so do think about renting one. Maybe from York or Newcastle?

You could also get a small taste of Scotland from this area.

We spent two months travelling all about in 2006 -- Northumberland was one of the few places where we wished we had spent more time. In our opinion, still pretty unspoilt.

You might consider staying in farmhouse B&B's in the area for a different type of experience. Some of them are very deluxe.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

As my husband's family comes from Durham and when we go visiting family we very often include a few days break around the North York Moors. We stay in the (only) lovely pub in Ellerby, which is a small hamlet on the edge of the moors. The Ellerby is very quiet and has about a dozen en-suite rooms and their restaurant is also very, very good, much of their meat is produced on their own farm. If you are driving it is a really good base to explore places like Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, Staithes, Pickering etc.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yorkshire Coast Itinerary suggestions appreciated!

I really love the North East of England, it is a beautiful part of the country. I also agree that Lindisfarne (Holy Island), is well worth a visit. You can drive over the causeway at low tide twice a day. Many years ago we stayed overnight and really enjoyed the atmosphere in the pub we were staying in once all the other visitors had left.