We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

We (4 adults) have 5 days -1st - 6th May 2010 _ We will be leaving London on 1st (Saturday). This will be a quick visit but would love to visit, The Dales (no walking), Harrogate, Scarborough, Witby, Duraham and then a quick visit to the Lakes District or visa-versa. Before visiting this area we are doing a 17 day Globus trip Best of the British Isles tour..which spends 1 night in york on the way to Edinborough, also drives through the Lakes district, follows the shores of Ullswater and visit Browness-on-Windermere. I need help.. planning to catch a train from London to commencement town, any suggestions where to start and also to collect a rental car. Is it possible to visit these areas in 5 days and a suggested itinerary would be appreciated and what to visit. On the 6th May we have to get back to Paris to catch a 9.30 pm flight.

BOBH - Day Trips from York
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
How Stean Gorge
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
YorTours
Sightseeing Tours
Yorkshire Trike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: 5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

Hi Sixpence.

Sorry about the cross post. I did not check. It took me half hour to type out my post using just one finger.

Pleased we are not alone in having a bit of snow. Have a good New Year.

ian480.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: 5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

Hi Ian - No problem

Happy New Year to you too .

It took me a time to look things up and try to find a flight for these people to CDG. I don't know the info off the top of my head and cross checked quite a few but as they haven't decided where they are based yet and I think on the original thread they may have gone over to the Lake District. Manchester and Liverpool may also come into the equation as airport to fly out of . But then there are trains to sort out and.....

33. Re: 5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 16:03
Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: 5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

Ian please to here you spent NY in Aust last year, lucky you to spend it on our beautiful habour watching the fire works (something I haven't done yet) Snow at the moment sounds wonderful compared with our heat.

Thanks again everyone for the info re flights. We are flighing with Emirate, they don't have flights to Paris from Leeds or Nçle, or Manchester, but I am kicking myself for not booking the return home from Nçle to Dubai and then to Aust.

Bit concerned re comment what if the flight is delayed...does this happen often? Should be leave the nights before and spend another night/ day in Paris.(not really what we want to do)..or would the train/eurostar back be sure of getting us back to Paris.

Sydney
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
35. Re: 5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

Hi, as one of "Australia Undecided"s travelling companions....joining this discussion! Re the flights mentioned to Paris from say Leeds.....are they often delayed in May? Also....do they fly into the international part of the Airport where our Emirites flight leaves from, or is more transport involved?Thank you all for the great advice. Now.....where to stay......thinking York looks so lovely and lots of great looking B&Bs there......everything is so öld"and historic over there compared to here in Os....love it all......York looks like it will serve as a "base"so that we can do day trips to the locations mentioned. Now....realistically.....how long does it take to drive the "scenic routes"to The Lakes district, Kendal etc and would we have time to also visit the Cunbria area?.....or does it require an overnight stay?(thinking we might stay 1 night there anyway)Is it worth going on the smaller roads? We want to see all the old villages and market towns etc, so not too keen on Motorways.Not too interested in the bigger cities of Manchester etc, so any guidance is appreciated....and can repay the favour when you all need unfo on our lovely(but hot at the moment) country.Cheers and a Happy New Year to all.....hope you aren't all snow bound as reported on the telly last night.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: 5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

Hi Undecided/Sydney.

I have to be quick as I'm to the dales in a few minutes.

Re delayed flights it only takes one to bu**er your flight home. The last time I flow to CGD my plane was late getting in but there held all the USA bound planes up. Left CDG over 1 hour late meaning I missed my plane in the USA for C. America. A very bad day for me.

Rre routes across the dales, if you have time do take the backroads across the dales. If you want me to I can plan a route for you. It is not that far to drive. (I did Perth to Sydney last christmas now that is a drive)

Re York I only live about 70 kms from it, But try not to go there much. Too much traffic in York. But lots of people on hear will give you all the advice you can ever want.

Must dash get back to you later.

ian480.

PS forgive any spelling mistakes no time to check :-( .

Edited: 02 January 2010, 07:38
north yorkshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
37. Re: 5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

The flights are not often delayed, and for "operational" reasons rather than the weather in May. However, if dependent on an intercontinental connection I would stay in France the night before.

Regarding your proposed tour, the base area I previously suggested is practical because it is very close to the main road network to get you to your chosen locations quickly. In addition it offers pleasant rural locations.

If you had say 2 weeks it would be nicer to take time travelling through the country roads. For example it can be a full day from York through the Dales to the Lake District and back again if you go through the villages and make a few stops. To enjoy the Lakes you need to get there asap and then spend the day travelling the lanes and visiting the villages.

The City of York is exceptional, but the area around it is very flat and not outstanding and offers no reason for choosing it for your purpose,other then visiting the city which you didn't say you wanted to visit again ( and won't have time if you want to get everywhere else).

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: 5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

Re flights.

When I went MAN-CDG to catch my flight we took off late about 90mins. When we got off the plane we was bussed to another terminal where lots of people was trying to push in because we was all late. I was lucky I bought my ticket for the 6 flights at the same time with AF so it was up to them to get me there if any of my flights where late.

You I believe have booked your main flight first. So lets say you book EasyJet From Newcastle and EasyJet is late ( I have flown with Easy Jet a lot and I am a big fan, BUT my last flight with them was 15 hours late) and you miss your flight home. You may have to pay for new tickets to get back home.

OK so maybe I am looking on the black side of things but in the last 2 years I have been on 5 late flights.

Washington DC to London 3 hours. BA

Singapore to Perth 3 hours QF

Sydney to Hong Kong 4 hours QF

Spain to East Midlands 2 hours EJ

Prauge to East Midlands 15 hours EJ

So delays do happen and you have to take them in your stride.

If it was me with the type of flight tickets you have I would be thinking of being in France the day before. If only for peace of mind.

This is of course just my personal opinion.

ian480.

Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: 5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

thanks for the info....we have decided to go by train, haven't got the tickets yet..looking at York to Lille and then Lille to CDG..do you know if the trains keep to there timetables or is there a problem with lateness with them as well.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: 5 day itinerary North Yorkshire and Lakes district

Hi AustraliaUndecided

Why not post your question about trains on the "Train Travel forum?" On the "Beyond Destination forums"

ian480.

Get answers to your questions about North Yorkshire