We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Village Pubs and children

Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Village Pubs and children

My husband I are visiting the area with our 13 year old daughter. . I have read about some great pubs for lunch or early dinners and wonder how accepted children are in these establishments? I'm not expecting to be able to bring her in at night while we hoist a few pints; (one of the great disadvantages of traveling with a child, beloved or not;) but we love pubs and would hate to miss the experience altogether on this trip. I know that there are some pubs with separate eating and drinking areas; but is it ever okay to bring a kid in while you have a drink, even in the daytime?

Morgana and other experts--I posted before that we were hoping to book a cottage in the Pickering, Helmsley, area; but as the airfares are still prohibitively high for June from our area we haven't booked any as we wouldn't want to lose our deposit if our plans had to change. I did have my heart set on letting a cottage for a week; but many of the ones that I liked are booked already that I'm wondering if this idea is going to be a false starter. We have also entertained the idea of splitting our time at B an B's in the Moors and the Dales. Would staying at Band B's help our chances of finding accomodation in June? Do cottages become booked faster than B and B 's? I haven't checked out many B and B's as my heart was set on a cottage. I've looked at so many cottages on the web that I swear that when we are driving around I will recognize some of them from memory! The prices for renting a cottage seem so reasonable that I'm hoping there will still be a few choice ones available when we book our flights hopefully by the end of this month.

Thanks for any insight.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Village Pubs and children

children are welcome in 99% of village pubs, they aren't allowed to sit at the bar, but most places also have tables you can sit round as a family and she can have a coke. Children can eat with you at mealtimes without a problem, many places do have a curfew though of 9pm. Village pubs in England are having a bad time at the moment, the smoking ban and recession are biting deep, three have shut in our village this winter, they need the trade, they'll be glad to see you.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Village Pubs and children

I think you would find B and Bs easier to book and a split week would work well. People tend to book their cottages way in advance. The advantage of a cottages is that it gives you more freedom, with a kitchen etc. But for a few days I think a B and B would be ok. Some do an optional evening meal if you didn't want to eat out each night, and some do a packed lunch too. And often use of a garden and a lounge area. Here's an example of what I mean (and this location would be great for you too in the Dales).

www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/stayat/scarlodge/

Have you checked out www.yorkshirenet.co.uk for cottages and B and Bs? it can be a bit of a bind to work through as you are often dropping a line to individual owners. But if you wrote out a general enquiry and used it to cut and paste into the enquiry box it shouldn't take long. I've used it to book short breaks and B and Bs before.

No probs about your daughter eating in a pub. We didn't tend to take our children when they were younger as there was still no smoking ban and I didn't want to take them into smoke filled rooms. But the smoking ban has sorted all that!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Village Pubs and children

As long as children don't sit at the bar and it is a pub that serves food you will not have a problem. But your 13 is more of a young lady than a small uncontrollable child so I am sure she could be in later than 9pm. The general trend is self catering will probably be getting booked up by now and although bed and breakfast tend to get booked up later if you are looking for certain dates to fit in with flights it may take you a bit of juggling. Have you looked on skyscanner website .

Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Village Pubs and children

Great replies and very helpful. We appreciate that people welcome our business and are happy to be coming to Yorkshire to spend our money and support local businesses. Dollars well spent.

Englandsixpence; my daughter is quite a well-behaved young lady, and very conscious of it and as my husband says 13 going on 23!

I haven't look at skyscanner yet; but I will and yes Morgana I have looked at yorkshirenet.co.uk and will continue to do so. Thanks for the recommendation of the B and B. It seems to only have doubles; but I will keep it in mind. One of the reasons we were looking at cottages was that they seemed to offer space with economy; but of course no bkfast. As I haven't looked at B and Bs much it will be interesting to see if many have family rooms.

I love doing the planning for the trip--so the new wrinkle of staying in a B and B, with maybe splitting the days is just another reason to browse the internet, the forums and the great brochures I've been getting in the mail.

Thank you all.

5. Re: Village Pubs and children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about North Yorkshire
Recent Conversations