We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Father's Day Pub Lunch

Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Father's Day Pub Lunch

We will be staying around Thirsk on Father's Day, June 21. We would like to treat our father/husband to a good roast beef dinner somewhere in the area. We do have a car and can drive in any direction. I'm assuming that we would need to make reservations beforehand and would like to do so. Nothing fancy, just good food and good beer will suit my husband. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Father's Day Pub Lunch

You will need to check the menu, but how about dinner in a Brewery? The Black Sheep Brewery at Masham does tours but also has a very good bistro. You would need to book asap.

www.blacksheepbrewery.com

A walk around Jervaulx Abbey might be nice afterwards if the weather is good?

www.jervaulxabbey.com

In anther direction we also like the Golden Lion at Osmotherley, but again you'd need to check the menu for Father's Day.

www.goldenlionosmotherley.co.uk

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Father's Day Pub Lunch

The pub that won the Telegraph award for the best Sunday lunch which they serve until 3pm is The Hare at Scawton just out of Thirsk -01845 597769 There is also the White Swan in Ampleforth about 11 miles from Thirsk -01439 788239 which is a bit more pub like serve until 2pm. Both these have websites you can explore more and both you would need to book.

Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Father's Day Pub Lunch

Morgana, the brewery was on our list of places to visit; but I didn't think about it in reference to eating.

Sixpence, after I posted I did see your previous recommendation for the Hare and will check it out. All of your suggestions we will put on our list. We do plan on visiting as many pubs as possible as we drive around.

If you have any more suggestions I do appreciate it. Many thanks for the time and trouble you both have put into answering the questions posted about North Yorkshire. We are staying 2 days in York and 6 days near Thirsk and I know your suggestions will make this a memorable trip!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Father's Day Pub Lunch

I also think the Durham OX at Crayke is a good place to go .havent been for Sunday lunch though. When you are in York if you go over Lendal bridge with the Minster behind you- then turn immediatly left there is an old pub there that has lots of different beers.It is called The Maltings and this is a pub- pub if you get the meaning.

Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Father's Day Pub Lunch

Sixpence, thanks for the York pub suggestion. Looked up their website and my husband is foaming at the mouth looking at the list of their beers. We will definitely go there for a pint.

scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Father's Day Pub Lunch

Hi tagent3 I'll add this one the nags head in pickhill is one of the best IMHO but then there are plenty of good pubs in that area

www.nagsheadpickhill.co.uk

all the best

tarric

Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Father's Day Pub Lunch

Tarric, thanks for the new pub suggestion. I'm having so much fun looking at these pubs online and each site leads me to another spot in North Yorkshire. We have 3 months to go and my family can't believe how obsessed I am about this vacation; but to me planning and researching is almost as much fun as the trip.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Father's Day Pub Lunch

Absolutely agree with Tarric, North Yorkshire (and Lancashire with its brilliant small chain of Ribble Valley Inns) have a very large amount of excellent pubs and restaurants.

Many have lots of the local produce on the menu too. I'd more than happily go to any of the places suggested above.

oxford
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Father's Day Pub Lunch

Try the Wensleydale Heifer in west witton near leyburn, they have some of the best roasts in Yorkshire and a great value set menu every Sunday

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Father's Day Pub Lunch

The Blue Lion at East Witton

We were at the Black Sheep Brewery, last week for a 'familiarisation' event and can highly recommend the tour and Bistro

Dave