We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helmsley walks

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Helmsley walks

Staying one night at Feversham Arms in July, and would appreciate any walk recommendations - moderate.

We have considered a walk from the castle to Rievaulx, or even driving out to Kilburn and walking near the horse, or even passing Byland abbey - any advice on these two?

Any other recommendations, i.e. places of interest, are also welcome.

It's for our 8th anniversary and I hope to make it as memorable as possible. Thank you in advance x

Castle Howard
Architectural Buildings, Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Helmsley Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helmsley walks

Plenty of walks in the area. But first some Questions.

How fit are you?

Do you mind hills?

How far do you plan to walk?

You say moderate, please clarify what you mean by moderate?

Most walkers overstate how fit there are.

ian480.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helmsley walks

Or you could go up out of helmsley into the moor via Carlton and go down East moors heading towards Bransdale. Helmsley to Rievaulx is well trod. Around Coxwold,Byland ,Kilburn is very pretty . You could park at Kilburn and go up the White horse better than leaving your car in the car park halfway up the bank as it would be safer as it is often targeted

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helmsley walks

Hi lil_blenky.

I see your out walking today. I have plenty of time to post today so I will post 1 or 2 walks for you to do. First off please think about buying a map, You want IMO Ordnance Survey, Outdoor Leisure 26. North York Moors, Western area.

Walk 1

From the car park at the top of Sutton Bank hill.

From carpark walk to the view point on the left (south) of the road at the very top of Sutton Bank. Spend a minute to admire the view. Cross road with care (north) to track and follow. Views on left.

In about 400 yards is a path on left heading down hill.( Gormire Lake) If wet this path can be slippery if wet,

This path in places is steep but nothing out the ordinary.

At lake turn right with lake on left.

A word of WARNING *SNAKES*

First off please do not be put off, But if you have a dog make sure it is on a lead. Dogs do get bit on the nose, and yes some small dogs do die.

If you are lucky to see any Adders PLEASE DO NOT HARM THEM. In all my many 1000's of miles of walking in Yorkshire I have only seen 3 adders. But saying that I was stood next to a walker who was bittern by one, He just walked another 30miles before he went to hospital.

Follow path to a track, Turn right uphill in wood to rejoin track on top (sutton brow) Turn right to retrace your steps to carpark and a icecream.

This walk in only about 3 miles.

Off to pick wife up from Gym. will post another walk later on.

I have told my wife, If she runs to the gym and back she would not have to use a gym and I would save money on her membership.

ian480.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helmsley walks

Walk 2

From the carpark at the top of Sutton Bank hill.

From carpark walk to the view point on the left (south) of the road at the very top of Sutton Bank.

From view point turn left with views on right, follow this track (cleveland way) for over a mile to the White Horse. If you are lucky you will see some gliders taking off as you pass the airfield on your left.

Just passed the horse is the steps down to the carpark. Down steps and exit carpark to road,

Turn right downhill on road, This is s steep hill not very busy but beware of cars. Follow road with care for 1 mile to Kilburn village and maybe a pint if pub is open.

Just passed the church is a path, Maybe in church grounds I just can't remember. That path comes out at a bend in a road.

Turn left uphill for about 100 yards to a track on left.

Follow this track uphill to road. Turn left on road to junction, turn right. In about 50 yards is a track on your left. Follow this track uphill for over a mile to road. Turn right on road to main road A170.

As you stand at the road junction with your back to the main road and looking down the road you have just walked down. On the right and going half right is a path (maybe signposted cleveland way)

Follow this path back to the first track you walked on when you started walking. Turn right back to main road and carpark.

This walk is longer then walk 1 about 6 miles in all.

ian480.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helmsley walks

Walk 3.

Helmsley to Rievaulx and back.

From the top left hand corner of Helmsley Square. (northwest) Turn left to road jnt, turn right to pass church on right. In about 50 yards turn left on lane/track. Maybe signposted cleveland way.

Follow this for 2 miles into woods downhill to road, Turn left on road for about 500 yards to road on right and Rievaulx Abbey.

Just retrace your steps to get back to Helmsley. About 6 miles in all.

Re Byland Abbey. Best to drive there.

If you want any more information or longer walks to do, please get back.

ian480.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helmsley walks

Thank you for the advice, esp the Kilburn parking Englishsixpence! Very much appreciated.

Ian, what can I say, thank you, thank you!!

We are both in our early 20s and are 'moderately fit' lol. Will hopefully be fitter by July! Not too worried as we just take it at the pace we need to. We are scramblers by nature, as in, we just seem to go for the silly way up hills before looking and seeng the path! So we don't mind hills, though it may take us a while to get up them lol. We're working on the how far. I think we're capable of 7 miles maximum at present.

Thank you both again, really appreciate your advise :o)

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helmsley walks

Hi lil_blenky.

We all have to start somewhere.

Every time you go out start building up the miles, It might/will take 1,2 or 3 years to get up to 25+ miles and still feel ok.

The walking club I belong too have a group in Cleveland. Maybe something to aim for.

www.ldwa.org.uk

If I can be of any more help, please get back to me. I am only to willing to pass on my love of long distance walking.

Good walking ian480.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helmsley walks

Byland Abbey has a really lovely pub called (not unsurprisingly) the Abbey Inn. It is literally across the road from the Abbey and would be good for some lunch after a walk. Ignore the name of the link - it's the correct one!

www.theappletree.org/index.php

And here's a walk that starts and ends at the Abbey.

theaa.com/walks/monks-and-an-astronomer-at-b…

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Helmsley walks

Thank you very much Morgana!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Helmsley walks

Have you eaten at the Abbey Inn recently Morgana?. As TJ Drew the star chef and the man who was running it with his wife has left as the wife is now with the under chef and a write up in the local newspaper said he was self trained who took inspiration from .... ........... Haven't heard any local comments but know people like the Fauconberg Arms in Coxwold.

Get answers to your questions about North Yorkshire
Recent Conversations