We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern England Itinerary - Comments?

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
Northern England Itinerary - Comments?

My family and I will be traveling to England at the end of July and staying for two weeks. We want to stay primarily in Northern England. I'd be interested in what anyone thinks about our itinerary.

July 23 - Depart from California (LAX)

July 24 - Arrive in London - Stay two nights

July 26 - Train to Leeds, rent car and drive around Yorkshire Dales - Stay one night in area

July 27 - Drive to Keswick - Stay 3 nights

July 30 - Drive to Hexham to walk portion of Hadrian's wall, then drive to Whitby - Stay 2 nights

August 1 - Drive to York, drop off car - Stay 1 night

August 2 - Take train to Oxford - Stay 1 night

August 3 - Take train to London - Stay 2 nights

August 5 - Depart for California

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern England Itinerary - Comments?

Hi,

I can't see the point is going to Leeds. Why not start/finish in York? York could easily occupy you for a couple of days.

The North Yorkshire Moors are worth driving around. There's also a wonderful scenic steam railway that runs about 20 miles from Pickering to Whitby, with stops in lovely moorland villages.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern England Itinerary - Comments?

Assuming you are arriving at LHR I'd go to Oxford on arrival by coach then travel to Newcastle-upon-Tyne where you pick up the car ending with 4 nights in London. Just cuts down on travel a bit and changes of hotels. You tghen start your tour in the Lake District, cut across to

Can't see the point of travelling to Leeds to pick up a car, Newcastle is a better choice for what you want to do and you can then easily include some time in Durham

So the route would become Newcastle - Hexham - Durham - Keswick - Yorkshire Dales - Whitby - York

I'd also sort out accommodation ASAP as it's the start of the English school holidays

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern England Itinerary - Comments?

One night stays are inefficient. At the end of your trip, I would take the train to London for three nights and do a day trip to Oxford.

For the rest, I would have different priorities than you, but it's your priorities that matter.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern England Itinerary - Comments?

I think what you want to see and do is fine - but like the others I think you are doing things in a strange order and not making the best use of your time.

I'd travel to York (not Leeds) by train on July 26th. Leeds is a large industrial town in West Yorkshire and going there doesn't make much sense with the other places you wish to see.

Once you are in York stay one night (no car needed) to explore the city. Then pick up your rental car and do the rest of your North Yorkshire itinerary - which would be the Dales and Whitby (think you have allowed yourself 3 nights for this).

Assuming you wish to stay somewhere rural I'd choose a place like Helmsley or a surrounding village where you can base yourself for a few days and tour each day. There are numerous very good bed and breakfasts in the area, including farm stays.

www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/accgde/farms.htm

North Yorkshire covers a huge area so no one place is perfect for visiting everywhere. For instance the Dales National Park stretches a long way across Northern England to the west, but Whitby is right on the east coast. However, 3 days in one spot would make practical sense and save too much packing up.

There's so much to do up here that you could spend weeks but if you gave us more info about your interests I am sure we could help.

Definitely agree with Alan that you should get your accommodation sorted as quickly as you can as you are travelling during peak holiday time (the schools break up mid July until the beginning of Sept).

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern England Itinerary - Comments?

I would think 1 night in Whitby would be enough or even a trip in the evening would be better than the hassle of going during the day and it certainly has lots of atmosphere which you would benefit by going after 5pm

Maputo, Mozambique
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern England Itinerary - Comments?

I agree, unless you have family in Leeds or Newcastle then rather go to York. It is an amazing place. We had such fun there. If time allows try and get to Whitby. It's the highlight of our trip so far...(we r on our way to Scotland so can't comment yet)... But the people, the Abby and the streets were just beautiful. Remember that parking your hire car anywhere in England is a challenge. Always look out for a public car park which can cost a fair bit.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern England Itinerary - Comments?

As Morgana said, we don't know your interests or your resources.Music and history? - Fountain's Abbey concert. Gastropub with rooms? - Angel at Hetton. North Coast - Cliffemount Hotel Runswick Bay. City History - York Middlethorpe Hotel , at least 2 days. Literature/Music? Steeton MVC concert/Brontes Haworth 30July. Proper walking? Three Peaks walk from Horton in Ribblesdale. Golf? Ilkley GC is lovely and more than 100 years old - -etc., etc. Do London another time and then you can bring proper outdoor clothing and explore more. If you want to drink beer best plan to stay overnight at the pub - refer to Camra for guidance. Refine the target and we'll do better.

8. Re: Northern England Itinerary - Comments?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 15:15