We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weeks Holiday

Corby, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Weeks Holiday

Hi

Staying in a cottage on North York Moors in a weeks time. I have a few questions as we have never visited the area before.

Best Parking in Scarborough/Whitby & Parking Charges.

Would like to do some walking, going on steam train, visit Scarborough/Whitby.

Any other suggestions for days out?

Any Restaurant suggestions.

Any thoughts would be a great help.

Many Thanks

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weeks Holiday

Parking is changing now and meters are being installed so cant tell you where to park for free anymore. The Magpie takes some beating and their seafood cold platters are amazing add a Caribbean salad to share and you have cracked it. You can catch the link to NYMR bringing you down to Pickering for the day and stopping of at Grosmont and Goathland -where Heartbeat was filmed

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weeks Holiday

The North Yorks Moors cover a large area - whereabouts are you staying?

Loads of lovely days out depending on what you like to do.

Castle Howard is set in the Howardian Hills close to the Moors and is an amazing day out, loads to see and do.

Helmsley is a nice town to explore, good teashops and deli's and a castle. Plus it is very near Rievaulx Abbey, another must see.

Robin Hood's Bay is another very good day out. You park at the top of the hill and walk down the very steep 'main street' to the sea.

High on the Moors is Wheeldale Roman Road - you can walk along it for a fair way and it is very atmospheric up there.

We also love Rosedale Abbey, pretty village with some very good walks from it including one along the old Ironstone railroad.

York is a beautiful city and easily reached if the weather should turn against you, as is Eden Camp.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weeks Holiday

The Lion Inn high up on the Moors does a good Sunday lunch, drive through pretty village Hutton le Hole.

Walk round Hole of Horcum.

Visit Goathland (Aidensfield from Heartbeat) catch the steam train from there to Whitby

Corby, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weeks Holiday

Hi Morgana

Thanks for the reply. We are stopping in High Nomanton. I realise that North York Moors is a vast area.

Many Thanks

Corby, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weeks Holiday

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your prompt replies. I now have some ideas. I do fancy the Sunday lunch high up on The Moors. I will take a look at that pub. Cant wait to go now. The North York Moors steam train can you get on and off at different places. I would like to go from Whitby to Pickering but would like to stop off at Grosmont and Goathland to have a look round.

I didnt expect to get free parking just wanted some idea of how much it costs to park for the day.

Many Thanks

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weeks Holiday

The Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge does get busy but we managed to get in for lunch last summer, lovely views from there.

You can get on and off the train at all stations parking is quite expensive at Goathland as it is a tourist spot.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weeks Holiday

To be honest I've not heard of High Nomanton. The reason I asked you where you were staying is that we could probably advise of some good local pubs or restaurants so you wouldn't have to drive too far.

What's your nearest town or large village?

Corby, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weeks Holiday

Hi

It is near Fylingthorpe and 2 miles from Robin Hood Bay. Whitby is 6 miles away. Hope that helps. I think it is in the middle of no where. Sorry its High Normanby my mistake.

Thanks

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Weeks Holiday

I see where you are now! There is a lovely waterfall with tea rooms near you

fallingfossteagarden.co.uk

Goathland has Mallyan Spout waterfall

Kent
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weeks Holiday

A few miles to the north of Robin Hoods Bay is the Ellerby Hotel but it does get very busy so I think you would have to book. Quite close to Ellerby is Staithes so maybe you could include a visit there on the same day. There are a few eating places there also but have not tried them so cannot comment

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1012814…