We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycletour in Yorkshire

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
200 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cycletour in Yorkshire

Hello,

Since I first saw the film "Heartbeat" on TV, I have wanted to visit this part of England (and I think this year's Tour de France started here?). I think it is Yorkshire Moors? But is Yorkshire Dales nicer?

But first of all: Which is better for cycling? Both are National Parks but isn't there towns - not too far from each other?( 20-30 kilometers).

Are there small road with only a little trafic?

Lis

PS: Sorry for my English it is 50 years ago that I went to school and learned the language. Hope you understand anyway.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycletour in Yorkshire

Hej

Your English is excellent and a million times better than the few words of Danish I could speak when I visited Aarhus 10 years ago! ;-)

I can't really help you about your questions about cycling in the Yorkshire Dales or Moors, even though I have visited them many times in the past.

Farvel ;-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycletour in Yorkshire

I'm not a cyclist, but I'll try to help. UK national parks do have towns & villages and many of the roads that connect them will be narrow and twisting - some will be quieter than other.

The CTC (a cycle touring group) has a website which may offer some suggestions and help:

www.ctc.org.uk/ride/touring-and-expedition

Le Tour certainly went through part of the Yorkshire Dales and Peak District national parks - I'm not sure if it also went into the North Yorks Moors. There's a website allied to the Yorkshire Dales National Park called Cycle the Dales:

http://www.cyclethedales.org.uk/

Equivalent for N Yorks Moors:

www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/visiting/cycling

and for the Peak District:

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/cycle

They're all beautiful areas so you've plenty to choose from.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
200 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycletour in Yorkshire

Hej matt_pool.

Just to tell you that I actually live in Aarhus:-)

Lis

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
200 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycletour in Yorkshire

Hi CheresX,

Thank you for the links. I will read them carefully and I hope I will know a lot more about Yorhshire, then!

Regards

Lis

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycletour in Yorkshire

Welcome to Yorkshire! Cycling is very popular here. It is not quite as well organised as Denmark (I envy your cycle lanes!), but you can certainly find some nice routes. I know the Dales best, which are well suited to cycling with great landscapes and good valley bottom routes with the option of going up and down hill if you feel fit. Do you want to join a tour or cycle solo? Have a look at www.yorkshire.com (search under cycling) for some ideas.

There is now a direct flight from Copenhagen to Leeds, from where it is easy to access the Dales National Park.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycletour in Yorkshire

The Tour de France did not visit the Moors.

The Dales are currently thronged with cyclists doing some or all of the Tour route. We motorists who live in the Dales are well used to them!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycletour in Yorkshire

@Morgana - do you have any further advice to give to the OP for the cycling trip that she is planning? ;-)

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cycletour in Yorkshire

None apart from the fact that the Tour route through the Dales is clearly accessible and will give the OP a good idea of cycling conditions here.

A lot of people (including some doing the TV tour coverage) seemed to think the Tour went to the North Yorks Moors - and as I stated above, it didn't. But if the OP wants to go to 'Heartbeat Country' then that IS the Moors.

I couldn't possibly comment on 'which is nicer' lol.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
529 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cycletour in Yorkshire

Funnily enough a lot of the earlier filming of Heartbeat was don in Otley & a nearby village called Askwith (the original police house was here, in the days of Nick Berry (I know this as they used my house several times to film some of the scenes - which is very bizarre and another story!) ANYHOW you can take a nicer route from Otley through to Ilkley via Askwith, arrive in Ilkley near the swimming pool & lido, then go straight through to Bolton Abbey on the back road via nesfield which is a much nicer & quiter ride than using the A65. To get to the North York Moors, you'd be better off flying to LBA & either cycling to leeds OR catching the bus into leeds from the airport and getting a train through to York, Malton, Scarborough, Middlesbrough, Whitby, Northallerton or Thirsk northyorkmoors.org.uk/visiting/…getting-here

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
200 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cycletour in Yorkshire

Hi,

Only to thank you all for your posts. Now I know a little more about Yorkshire Dales. When I mentioned Tour de France it was not because of an interest for the "game" but because I think the landscape looked so lovely.

Thank you to anne... to tell me, that there is a direct flight from Copenhagen to Leeds.

Now I can start the planning and I hope I can ask you again, if I meet problems?

I have to admit that it is our holliday NEXT year so I am in an early stage, you see!

This year we cycled in the Cotswolds, it was wonderful, and last year we cycled in Cornwall - it was great, too.. We like cycling in England. English people are so kind and so polite - everybody (nearly) say Hello to us - and we like to visit a country, where we can understand what people says and we can make ourselves understandable.

Right now I am looking for a bus from Leeds Airport to Skipton :-)

Regards - and have a nice summer to you all.

Lis