We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat in Ripon?

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Topic
Where to eat in Ripon?

Looking for a decent and inexpensive place for lunch in Ripon, local food preferred. :)

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat in Ripon?

Anemone, does it have to be Ripon itself? Can't think of anywhere I would recommend in the town, but there are places out in the countryside.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat in Ripon?

Morgana: it's for the TALF Fountains excursion with FSM and MrFSM which will be taking place on Feb 6 at a time yet to be decided.

We have decided to see the abbey in the morning and then find somewhere to eat for lunch--the little tea room at Studley is closed in winter and the visitor center cafe isn't really such a nice place for lunch. Which is why I thought Ripon.

Are you going to be able to join us?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat in Ripon?

Yes, yes, Morgana.....will you be able to join us??? It's going to be fun!!

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat in Ripon?

We looked through Ripon and although there is quite a list of places to eat available from the TiC next to the cathedral we did not find our ideal.

About 5 miles SW we were very pleased with The Crown at Roecliffe, not sure if they are open lunchtimes. They were very decent and mid price.

There are several nice and inexpensive places in Pateley Bridge about 10mi west of Ripon, we decided the nicest was the tearooms by the river just below the car park but there are other options. You could look at the atmospheric Brimham Rocks after lunch, another National Trust site. PB itself is a lovely town with walks by the river.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat in Ripon?

I'll do my best - will need to book some time off work.

My son works in Ripon so will ask him if he has any ideas.

York would have some good places - I could get there easily. Or Harrogate, where I live. Harlow Carr Gardens has a Betty's.

I'll keep thinking.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat in Ripon?

The cafre we most liked in Pateley Bridge was Wildings, good cakes, cafe kind of lunches if I remember, Tel: +44 (0)1423 711152

We didn't find Wildings until tea time so we had lunch at another place I can't find the name of, across the river. Good value.

The Blackamoor Pub 01765 603511 near Ripon was recommended in a number of places but we didn't get there to try it.

n. yorks
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat in Ripon?

The Blackamoor pub is on the outskirts of Ripon on the Boroughbridge road is is very good for food, if the evening meals are anything to go by the lunches should be good also.

Otherwise there is a bistro/cafe across the road from the catherdral and an Italian called Prima on the same street.

Enjoy.

8. Re: Where to eat in Ripon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 12:22