We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gluten free food

Which Whitby hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northumberland...
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
gluten free food

My husband has to have gluten free food so nothing with flour in it which puts the damper on fish & chips in Whitby. I have heard the Magpie does gluten free but you have to give 24 hours notice & an approximate time of dining!!!!! Is there anywhere else we can get gluten free fish & chips? Also as we are staying for the weekend can anyone recommend anywhere else to eat for a nice meal/sunday lunch etc?

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gluten free food

Greens for Sunday lunch or Saturday night.

Moon and Sixpence another option.

Not sure about gluten free options so better to check

Leeds
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gluten free food

The Magpie is probably your best bet and they also have other Gluten free items on the menu.

I don’t think you have to give 24 hours notice although I know they like a couple as they prepare a special pan to cook the fish and chips in to avoid cross contamination ( I have heard of places that just use the same pans that have had wheat flour batter in!!!).

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gluten free food

As Delboy says you may be best to stick with the Magpie as the food there is really fab. Also, most of the time you need to book several days in advance anyway as you can't get in most of the time if not! My hubby and I wanted to walk-in last October and there was no chance - massive queue outside and all reservations taken.

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gluten free food

Magpie only take a limited number of reservations and usually bigger parties

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gluten free food

littlewillie,

I have been able to book at the Magpie for two previously, but this was for a meal fairly early in the evening (19:00 I think).

Whitby
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gluten free food

At the Vinyard on Silver street you can have Sunday lunch or the full daytime menu and the chefs can cater for customers for any requirements gluten free, vegetarians, vegans etc...

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gluten free food

Thanks for all the replies. We have spent a nice, if cold weekend in Whitby. We had fish & chips at the Quayside Restaurant as they provide gluten free fish & chips & no notice is required so we just walked in off the street & my husband had the most wonderful gluten free cispy battered haddock. We can certainly recommend it to other coeliacs. We also dined at Passage to India, Vinyard & the Moon & Sixpence which all catered for gluten free without any problems.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gluten free food

Shambles bar Market square in Whitby caters for Gluten Free "We do not use regular Fryer all chips etc are cooked in seperate fryer" although we do not do gluten free batter(we will look into that) we are happpy to bake/grill fresh whitby fish to order, all our homemade soup is gluten free and a number of other dishes on our menu. Please ask at bar for details

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gluten free food

For anyone who has to have gluten free food there is a website you may find useful www.gluten-free-onthe go.com ,not only for this country but for overseas too.

10. Re: gluten free food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations