We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

Hi all,

I've visited York before in which time I saw the city, and took the Hogwart's Express upto Pickering. I'm now thinking of returning to visit Scarborough, Whitby and RH Bay.

Would you guys suggest that Whitby is an ideal place for me to base myself at? I plan to stay at the lovely YHA!

Can I get public transport to Scarborough and RH Bay? Things to do there...?

I'm looking forward to just walknig around really... sort of like th eexperience I had in Cornwall 2 yrs ago. Can you guys give me a list of things I can do in this area?

Thanks,

Vikram

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

Traveler802.

This is just my opinion, I know I look at things from a different angle then most people.

If you plan/want to visit both Scarborough and Whitby and you only have 2 nights to do both then I would stay in Scarborough.

Why?

Day 1 trip up to Scarborough from Beverley. Check in to the hotel If you are early just leave your bags at the hotel and spend the rest of the day looking around.

Day 2. Get a day ticket for the Whitby bus. If you are there midweek try to get the bus BEFORE 9-30. 9-30 buses are the OAP bus pass bus. ;-)

The bus trip is well worth the hour it takes and you can get off at Robin Hoods Bay if you want. Make sure you get the right ticket that allows you to get on and off at will.

After a full day out back to your hotel in Scarborough tried and foot sore.

Day 3 Pack up and leave.

Did you say you was travelling back to London on day 3?

If so take the train to Hull or York for the London train.

ME I would go to Hull. Why? Well the the London Train starts from Hull so you have the pick of the Seats. If you go to York you will be catching the Main East Coast train and you may not get a seat.

ian480.

Edited: 14 July 2010, 09:29
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

I'm back everyone!

Thanks to all of you for your help: ian480 who's been incredible, peterscot, littlewillie, joeintheuk, morgana, Englandsixpence, nikki1988_10 and replyman. You can find my blogs and pictures at :

www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/70960/summary

Click on each link for that day's trip report and pictures follow at the bottom of the page.

Highlights:

Whitby

Fish n chips

Pickled eggs... never eaten them before so loved that!

Robin Hood bay, what a delight!

Downlights: Scarborough, found it boring!

Denver
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

Thanks again for your advice, Ian.

34. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations