We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to/from Whitby Abbey into town

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to/from Whitby Abbey into town

I'll be traveling at the end of September with my parents and my aunt. They are all in their late 60's - mid 70's and pretty mobile for their age, but I'm worried that the 199 steps from the town to the Abbey may be too much for them.

We'd like to see the Abbey, then spend the rest of the day exploring Whitby. We'll have a rental car. I was thinking we'd see the Abbey in the morning and park at the car park there. Then drive into Whitby instead of taking the stairs (down probably wouldn't be a problem - but coming up might be!) Does this sounds feasible? Are there car parks centrally located in Whitby where we could park for the day?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. : )

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to/from Whitby Abbey into town

Train station on the inner harbour front. very big carpark but can get full but you should be ok in September.

ian480.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to/from Whitby Abbey into town

There's a convenient car park on the south bank, just after the swing bridge.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to/from Whitby Abbey into town

There is also a lot of free parking up near the Khyber Pass and Pavilion - you could perhaps drop off/collect your parents and aunt and park up for free:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&q=khyber+pass+whitby&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Khyber+Pass,+Whitby,+North+Yorkshire+YO21+3,+United+Kingdom&z=16

4. Re: Getting to/from Whitby Abbey into town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 07:25
Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations