We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation for family + ?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation for family + ?

Hello, and thank you for your time.

We will be traveling to England in summer, do not have our dates set yet - either June or August. My husband was born in RHB, family in Sheffield - this will be our first trip back as a family in 6 years. Family = me, hub, daughter 8 and son 6.

We are spending time in London, with family in Sheffield and 3-4 days in the Whitby, RHB area. I've scoured TA and various other sites for lodging info, but am pretty confused on what is good for a family of 4. It seems the reviews are full of a lot of 'one hit wonders' which makes me wonder about them.

We are looking for comfortable, clean, as near to the sea as possible - probably prefer an apartment, but hotel room is fine. B&B is fine as well, but I worry about disturbing others as our kids are on the younger side.

We are primarily interested in beach combing, looking for fossils and shells ( i'm a HUGE sheller ), and showing our kids the Abby, and nearby castle in Scarbourgh. I think there is a maritime museum close also? I don't care about any tourist trap stuff - mostly seeking history and outdoor things. If anyone would care to comment on what month is better, I'd be interested also - I've been to England more times than I can count, but it has been 6 years since my last trip, unfortunately.

We will have access to a car this leg of our trip.

Thank you for any ideas or comments.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation for family + ?

Try these sites:

iknow-yorkshire.co.uk/yorkshire_holidays/…

robin-hoods-bay.co.uk/html/where_to_stay.htm

Can recommend both Falconhurst B&B in RHB and Argyle House B&B in Whitby (http://www.whitbyaccommodation.co.uk/).

I'd say go for June - the British kids will still be in school then so it won't be so busy.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation for family + ?

Thank you! I was looking at the holiday rentals on TA, are you familiar with Bell cottage, by chance?

Now I'm confused on RHB - with with kids, would we want Upper or lower ? I wish my husband remembered more!

Edited: 15 March 2011, 20:36
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation for family + ?

Lower RHB is the old part that runs down to the sea. Cars are not allowed down there due to the steepness, lack of parking etc although you CAN go down to load or unload if you are rented down there (you then have to leave your vehicle in the car park at the top - if there's space!).

We've driven down there as we rented a cottage in the lower area, and believe me, it's not for the faint hearted! So whilst the lower part is the really attractive area, you'd be far better off at the upper part where you might find somewhere with parking.

Definitely agree with going in June. The school holidays start around July 18th and everything gets very much busier until early Sept when the children return to school.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation for family + ?

Ah! Thank you.

My husband told me to look at lower, i'll change gears, I don't want a parking nightmare.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation for family + ?

Whilst RHB is lovely, it is pretty quiet for young children especially if the weather was unkind, so you may want to consider Whitby instead? However, I can understand why your husband might want to stay in his birthplace.

RHB has it's own little online magazine (called Bayfair!!) and it's a mine of useful information about what's on. It also has a holiday accommodation section. A cottage might well suit you better but in June you might struggle to find anywhere that will book you for less than a week.

www.bayfair.co.uk

This site is also good for Yorkshire accommodation.

www.yorkshirenet.co.uk

Whilst you wish to avoid 'tourist trap' your children would probably enjoy a trip on the North Yorks Moors Railway.

www.nymr.co.uk

However, if you wanted to show them some history with no one else around, then Wheeldale Roman Road, high up and isolated on the Moors, is very atmospheric. You can walk along a mile of it and I doubt you'll see another soul.

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/w…

Cawthorn Roman Camps are also fascinating.

www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/roman-occupation

www.sandsend.ukfossils.co.uk

Edited: 16 March 2011, 12:49
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation for family + ?

I'd also say go for the upper bay, with the parking. Bayfair is great, as morgana says. I wouldn't completely agree re kids and RHB as my obsession with North Yorks started as a 5 yr old on a caravan holiday to the Bay in typical British weather!!! The beach is lovely, especially as you love to fossil and things, Boggle Hole is a great fossiling walk. Whtiby and Scarborough are not far away.

I also loved Flamingoland as a little person:

http://www.flamingoland.co.uk/

Sorry, I don't know Bell Cottage.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation for family + ?

Morgana and Riotstar - thank you very much for all the help, I greatly appreciate it. The websites are fantastic, great info. It doesn't much matter to me if the weather isn't perfect, we'll be equipped with wellies and anoraks, ready to explore. This trip is to show our kids their heritage and to meet family they haven't met before.

I might have more questions, before we're all booked, I know how much time you all put into the forum and site, so once again I appreciate your time and knowledge.

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation for family + ?

Hi

another (local) agency to look at: www.ingridflute.co.uk

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation for family + ?

I know you say RHB but have you thought of Sandsend which save the haul of that hill Look at Sandsend Bay Cottages I have just recommended then to someone else .

10. Re: Accomodation for family + ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 20:05
Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations