We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

Which Whitby hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

I've read the 2010 thread now closed "2-3 nights in the Whitby area", we're also looking at between York and Whitby for 3 nights in late May 2011. Normally with Trip Advisor and say somewhere like Bath I can spend 5/10 mins and find something I like. Pinning down Whitby is proving much more difficult.

We're Heartbeat fans so Goathland is on the list of places to see, rather than actually staying at the Aidensfield Arms. We'll drive up from London (Wimbledon), spend 3 nights in North Yorkshire before driving to Manchester to flyi onto Belfast on a 7.30pm flight on a Sat nght.

We've stayed in the Cotswolds before so have looked at country style hotels in Yorkshire as well as modern apartments like The Sands in Scarborough. Ideally we'd like either something self contained, a cottage with modern fittings, with a nice sitting area with a flat screen TV, WIFI is a must. Or an older hotel with modern bedrooms in an old building, nice common areas and yes WIFI. Somewhere with sitting rooms like the Pudding Club Hotel in the Cotswolds would be great. Or a very good B&B.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Budget is hard to to be precise. Perhaps a max of GBP150 a night.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

You may struggle to find somewhere self contained for just 3 nights in the area, especially with your wish list. Not only is late May fast appoaching but it's a Bank Holiday and also school holidays for all schoolchildren (half term week) so lots of places will be already booked.

Helmsley is a very nice town and has some good Hotels in including the Feversham Arms and Black Swan.

www.blackswan-helmsley.co.uk

www.fevershamarmshotel.com

Have you looked at Sawdays for the area?

www.sawdays.co.uk/search/listing.php… yorkshire

Estbek is also well regarded-

www.estbekhouse.co.uk/

Edited: 24 March 2011, 07:30
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

Hi Morgana thanks for your suggestions. Both the Feversham Arms and the Black Sheep look terrific. It's quite difficult making the call on where to stay from the other side of the world. Found or saw some great little farm cottages and B&Bs online (some a bit like the standalone country farmhouses you see out in the country on Heartbeat) but generally when looked more closely these were too far west, even west of York.

So getting a few emails off yesterday getting into Whitby there are vacancies in May which quite suprised me being 2 months off. So we have the choice of Dillons, The Willows which is virtually across the road. Or what looks to be a very nice 3 bedroom apartment in Upgang Lane in what was once the old Council registry offices. However I'm pretty sure these offices are right next door to an Esso service station. It looks a bit busy down there for me.

The breakthrough for me seemed to be the website Hello Yorkshire. Maybe when trying to assess where to stay it's a case of doing a lot of looking, giviing it a rest for a few hours, then back in.

While it's hard to assess what Whitby is like from Google Maps it doesn't look quite as hilly nor the roads as narrow as I'd have thought.

So both Dillons and the Willows have very good reviews on Trip Advisor, both have parking and both comparatively good value. Some of the more expensive accommodation in England does look fabulous. But by the time you take into account the cost of flying to England, a car and meals, generally we'd be trying to say under 150 pounds a night and under a 100.

Some of the more expensive hotels have restaurants and public areas. So if necessary you can always visit them that way but stop short of sleeping the night!

Harking back to Heartbeat I've seen some streets in Whitby that are narrow and winding, up hill and down dale. That's what we will be looking for in May.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

Hi again

Black Sheep is the (excellent!!) local beer - Black Swan is the Hotel!

I'm surprised that you are finding vacancies but I would try and get booked up as soon as you can. If the reviews look ok on here then it's usually a pretty safe bet unless they are all posted by 'one hit wonders' of course, in which case be wary.

Not sure I'd want to be next to a petrol station though.

White Linen Guesthouse in Whitby certainly used to have a good reputation.

www.whitelinenguesthouse.co.uk

I agree it's difficult being so far away and trying to organise - we recently did a road trip in America (Utah, Arizona etc) and booked using TA reviews as our guide. All worked really well with no nasty surprises!

Whitby is a largish. bustling town and although the old part does have little, narrow lanes and alleyways (ginnels) the majority of it has suitable roads for cars, buses, lorries etc etc.

At the end of May you'll be getting long days over here, with light evenings, so I imagine you'll be out and about making the most of your time up here, and really just using your lodgings as somewhere to sleep.

I confess that despite living in North Yorkshire I've never seen a single episode of Heartbeat!

If you are looking for steep, narow and twisty then do visit Robin Hood's Bay on the coast near Whitby. The main street is so steep that vehicles are banned unless delivering, and there are handrails to help you go up and down! There are also little alleyways and cobbled paths to explore and a tiny fishing museum. You have to park your car at the top of the hill. The main street winds its way down to the sea and there are some teashops and cafes to tempt you on the way down, plus a pub at the bottom. You can also access the cliff path from the bottom of the hill - we really whoop it up by buying fish and chips (always taste better eaten outdoors) and taking them up to one of the seats overlooking the sea.

www.robin-hoods-bay.co.uk

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

Thanks once again Morgana. Robins Hood Bay may be in fact aestically more what I am looking for. A bit Clovelly like perhaps? But I think we may just have to stay in Whitby and make side trips.

With Hearbeat one of the new Australian digital channels 72 has a real English flavour, 60 Minute Makeover, Escape to the Country, Living in the Sun, Minder, etc, etc. So they ran the last series of Heartbeat twice a week, including the double episode they filmed in Australia. And when they got to the last episode started playing the original episodes from Episode 1, 3 times a week.

Another favourite of mine is the BBC reality documentary "Bring Back Time, the High Street" set in Shepton Mallet Somerset where they get a row of old shops, 4 or 5 shopkeepers to recreate Victorian, Edwardian, 1930s, WW2, 1960s High Street. Can see Shepton Mallet is only about 15 miles SW of Bath so if we can get to Bath on this trip, will have to make a detour to see what the High Street they used looks like now.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

Then do look out on your TV Digital channel for Tales from the Green Valley, Victorian Pharmacy, Victorian Farm and Edwardian Farm featuring the excellent Ruth Goodman, a social historian - they sound exactly up your street.and I loved them all. There are links to them all within this link below to Goodman

www.ruthgoodman.me.uk/index.html

You may also enjoy a trip to Beamish.

www.beamish.org.uk

North Yorkshire has a very pretty village called Hutton le Hole and it also has a very good outdoor museum (although not on a Beamish scale).

www.ryedalefolkmuseum.co.uk

Edited: 25 March 2011, 07:24
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,645 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

Just wanted to chip in and say that Robin Hoods Bay is quite like a more lively, pleasant Clovelly (especially as you do not have to pay to get in to the Bay!!!)

The older episodes of Heartbeat (the ones with Nick Berry as PC Rowan) were mainly filmed around the harbour area of Whitby and the streets below the Abbey when they visited. Skinner Street was a definite location for filming.

Last time we were in Whitby we stayed at Argyle House B&B, which I would recommend as a nice, comfortable place. Lovely breakfast and lots of free parking around:

http://www.argyle-house.fsnet.co.uk/

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

Have you taken a look at Sandsend Bay cottages . they are high up over Sandend and overlook the bay I would recommend the Harness Cottage but by now it may be booked up you could always ask

Kent
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

Are you hiring a car? If so then you may like a trip a bit further up the coast to Staithes where Captain James Cook with his link to Australia, lived and began his seafaring career. Similar situation as Robin Hoods Bay but a big larger and maybe no quite so picturesque as it is more of a year-round lived in village. It also has a small interesting museum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/AllReviews-g315982-Staithe…

9. Re: 3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2011, 17:39
Australia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in the Whitby area - accommodation suggestions?

Hi MelbMan,

3 years ago my partner and I stayed at Sanders Yard and had a great room plus brekky was magic! Go to www.whitbyonline.co.uk and check out the link there. From DavidGM in Melbourne

Get answers to your questions about Whitby