We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Leeds to Whitby to London?

new york
Level Contributor
76 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
from Leeds to Whitby to London?

I'll be in Leeds in late June for a conference and before heading home wanted to take my kids (ages 10 and 11) for a day/night excursion and then head down to London (and back to the US).

A friend recommended Whitby and it looks wonderful... but the transportation looks tricky. I won't have a car. The kids love traveling (esp by train), but I'm wondering if I should just pick a different (more accessible spot).

Any advice on how to manage the transportation (and if it's worth it)?

Many thanks!

Level Contributor
5,205 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Leeds to Whitby to London?

The national rail site is a useful tool for gauging services and times between various points.

It is possible to get to Whitby by train and/or bus but it looks like the average journey time is about 3 hours.

Have you considered York. Its much closer to Leeds and is a compact, easily accessed city with excellent transport links and tons of things to interest you and your children.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from Leeds to Whitby to London?

I too would suggest York.

Whitby is a great place and it would be easy if you had a car, but public transport would be far more difficult and very time consuming.

Leeds to York is a simple hop and a very regular service.

There's loads to do in York itself and I'd use the time I had exploring such a beautiful city - in particular the wonderful (and free) Railway Museum, the Minster, many excellent museums, a walk around the walls etc etc

You'll be visiting when the days are long and the evenings light, so maybe an evening boat trip or a ghost walk?

York is very compact and walkable too. There is a good train service from the city down to London (Kings Cross) with the fastest trains taking less than 2 hours.

One thing I would add - although you are visiting out of school holidays (they start mid July), it will be busy so if you decide to go here I'd get your accommodation sorted as soon as possible.

Edited: 04 February 2012, 08:05
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,806 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Leeds to Whitby to London?

The Kids will love Whitby and tuck into a bag of Fish and Chips for lunch.

What is time when you are enjoying yourself.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from Leeds to Whitby to London?

Another vote for York. This is not to denigrate Whitby in any way - it's a pleasant enough place in its own right - but given the time you have available I'd say that a day/night in York would be the better choice.

Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: from Leeds to Whitby to London?

I wouldn't rule out Whitby.

The North York Moors steam line will certainly be running in June:

and the Coastliner bus is an alternative to rail

(you will need to wait for the summer TT though)

new york
Level Contributor
76 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from Leeds to Whitby to London?

Hi all... thank you for the input. I should have mentioned in my original post that we're planning to make York a day trip (at least one) while we're in Leeds. For the overnight, I was looking for somewhere a bit further afield from Leeds and that would be quite different from what we'll be able to see in Leeds (or get to from Leeds) or from the week we'll be spending in London.

It sounds like getting to Whitby could be part of the adventure (in a good way)?

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from Leeds to Whitby to London?

Whilst getting to Whitby maybe part of the adventure, the journey from Whitby to London looks more like an ordeal. It appears as though throughout the whole day there are only 5 departure times, with the journey taking between 5 & 6 hours and involving 2 or 3 changes.

Another option would on the back of your visit to York, hire a car and drive to Whitby. Then return to York and get the train to London (departures every 30 mins and takes about 2 hrs). Trains on this route are operated by www.eastcoast.co.uk and 'Advance' tickets go on sale c12 weeks before travel date. This is when they are at their cheapest and prices go up as tickets get sold.

Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,887 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from Leeds to Whitby to London?

The easiest way to get from Whitby to London would be to catch the aforementioned Coastliner bus to York (buses stop at the Rail Station after the City Centre) and catch the train from there.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,973 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: from Leeds to Whitby to London?

You could easily take the Coastliner from Leeds or York to Whitby, or part of the route before swapping on to the North York Moors Railway, as others have suggested.

I love Whitby, it is a proper old fashioned UK seaside resort with a gothic twist in places. There is so much to do, walking the old town, heading up 199 steps to see the Abbey, the Whalebone Arch, the seawalls, fish and chips... But you would spend less of your time travelling if you decide on York, which is also lovely.

Personally, I'd say Whitby is worth the journey ;-)

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: from Leeds to Whitby to London?

3 hours each way with a couple of kids? I would query if it's worth the journey. However, lybc, you know your kids. Renting a car is easier and you could stop en route at lots of places but it's still a couple of hours each way.

Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations