We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

Hi there!

Myself and the other half are visiting Whitby mid Feb and were wondering if anyone could recommend the best traditional pubs both for grub and great ales. We usually visit York but fancied a change. We are off for some posh nosh at Ditto on the Friday night but wanted somewhere relaxed and traditional for afterwards where we can have a right good ole knees up! Thanks

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

Hi,

Personally in Whitby, your best bet is the local fish, one of the best places is Magpie cafe but they do have a bar, and the restaurant above the beach cafe is very good for food. You may be able to get good pub food, there's several pubs on the main route to the beach, but try the old town, there's a good few places around there to.

I know you don't get a pub, but the better food we had was not in pubs at all from my experience so I understand you may want a pub, but several good restaurants in that area have good bars but the better food in that area isn't in the pubs.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

Thats brill thank you... We shall head into the old town then in that case. We just wanted to sit in a traditional old pub and drink some guest ales.... Thanks for the advice!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

I just remembered in the old town, there's a pub that overlooks the harbour but its oddly positioned above the public toilets - It's an odd one but it does have great views and does food.

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

Over the old side of town

Black Horse is probably most traditional pub - I think it just does limited food at lunchtimes. 2 or 3 real ales

The Duke of York has a standard pub menu but does good fish & chips and has great views - 4 real ales but nothing exciting

Endeavour has a about 4 real ales though not very atmospheric - no food

The Dolphin on the bridge has just been done up - has excellent beer, not tried food but looks ok. Very cosy - our new favourite pub

In the newer part of Whitby - Station does good beer (about 8 real ales) but no food & Little Angel ok for beer too. Grafton does food but no idea what its like - Marston beers.

That should keep you going :-)

Sheffield, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

If you go in Black Horse, try the back-room; it's a bit bigger (& closer to toilets!) with a lovely stained glass window onto side alley. And lots of interesting beers.

The 'one above toilets' is the Shambles, lots of room in there. It's above an indoor market off the town-hall/market square

Dolphin has real fires & nice views/beers. Think the 'Middle Earth' had Theakstons, but it's a while since I was in (much further along Church

To be honest most pubs in Whitby are lovely; wish I could spend more time in them :)

If you wanted a chippie I'd try Robertson's on bridge, they're always good, & cheaper/less queues/hype than Magpie

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/whitby-pubs

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

Thank you so much for all of this info... Sounds like our 'crawl' is going to be wonderfully 'olde worlde'!. Can I just check. Do we cross the bridge from Silver Street side to het to Black Horse and the Old Town, or are we arelady in the Old Town?? We are staying at The Arches which is Hudson Street??? Many thanks :-)

Whitby, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

Yes, cross the bridge, turn left up cobbled road n it's just on your left, try there spicy nuts with your pint there gorgeous, station pub opposite Tge railway station is a must good beers n wines, have fun xxx

Whitby, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

Yes, cross the bridge, turn left up cobbled road n it's just on your left, try there spicy nuts with your pint there gorgeous, station pub opposite Tge railway station is a must good beers n wines, have fun xxxx. Ps, most of whitby is old :)

Edited: 23 January 2013, 15:24
Bradford
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

Black Horse is on the right after you turn up the cobbled road - you can't miss it though :-) Its worth looking in the Whitby Bookshop on the way there too

I don't think Middle Earth is worth the diversion to be honest. If you go up to the Little Angel the Elsinore opposite has a very nautical feel. Also on the quayside on the same side of the river the Jolly Sailors has Sam Smiths which is refreshingly cheap after the average £3.20 a pint of most pubs!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,875 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Olde Worlde Pubs in Whitby

Yet another vote for the wonderful Black Horse and I would agree with jdtayor on the Magpie, too :)

If you are venturing out of Whitby I would also recommend Ye Dolphin in Robin Hood's Bay for traditional pub and grub in a fine atmosphere.

Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations