We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-hrs in Whitby?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
3-hrs in Whitby?

Hello,

I will be doing the day trip from York to Whitby on the NYMR. Arriving 10:35 and the return journey will depart at 14:00. Will there be enough time to take the Open Top Bus Tour, do the Abbey and Captain Cook Museum plus walk the streets around Sandgate, Church Street, Bridge Street?

Thanks for any advice.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,956 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-hrs in Whitby?

Doubt it.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-hrs in Whitby?

So it would be better for us to take the next and last train leaving at 18:00 back to Pickering?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,956 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-hrs in Whitby?

Yes, for sure! There is lots to do in Whitby and it is a very pleasant place to spend time. The longer you can "give" to it, the better your day will be!

If you take that later train, you should be able to do all the things on your list easily, and have time for a boat trip too...

whitby uk
Level Contributor
119 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-hrs in Whitby?

Yes i agree with Essexwanderer, you could almost tick the boxes of those things in that time but it would be like Anneka Rice on treasure hunt. The Abbey is one of those you can spend all day or half an hour on (if you want to burn £8), I recently revisited Captain cook museum and rushed through in 30 min due to parking. (still impressed) But the time sink will be the browsing around the shops and then eating. Plus you didn't mention Pannet park Museum which is fantastic and deserves a good browse in its own right. Enjoy your trip.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-hrs in Whitby?

The open top bus tour is useful as a way of getting your bearings, and also saves you walking UP the 199 steps, although I would definitely walk down. having the chance to stay until 6pm sounds excellent. taking the bus up to the abbey first also gives you the chance to see the whole town from the top of the steps, so you can see where else you have to go.

as you get to the bottom of the steps, about 10-20 yaerd (metres) to the right is a kipper smokehouse, its not open to the public, if they are smoking you can smell it, and if the doors are open you can see into the shed, which is an interesting experience with the tar covered walls.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-hrs in Whitby?

Stay longer if you can - there is always more to see in Whitby!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-hrs in Whitby?

Thanks to all.

@Riotstar... yes we will stay longer now. Hopefully it will sunny on next Monday.

@dave... it it strange that you mentioned Treasure Hunt with Anneka Rice... one of my favourite "reality" show from the 1980s. I remember her running around trying to look for the clues.

One of our option is to have a late lunch at Humble Pies. Wondering whether the place will be less busy at 2:30pm?

@kb... thank you for your tips

:-)

8. Re: 3-hrs in Whitby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations