We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking near York

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Walking near York

I'm thinking of spending a couple of days in York in mid-September and as I've been to the city before (many years ago) I'd like to spend a day mostly walking. Can anyone suggest a starting point not too far from York by public transport for a nice day's rambling? Thanks.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,001 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking near York

Tricky as the area around York is rather flat & agricultural.

If you are willing to travel for an hour or so then you could go to Hebden Bridge via Leeds and walk around Hardcastle Crags. You could also go to Haworth via Leeds and Keighley (might even get a steam train to Haworth) and walk the moors that inspired the Brontes. Or to Ilkley - of Ilkley Moor Baht'at fame and walk above the town and enjoy the views of the Spy City golfballs

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking near York

Recently I did a nice walk along the Ebor Way into York. We only did a 5 mile route, starting at Haxby (on a 10 minute interval bus route) and walking right into the city centre, following the line of the River Foss. It was a very pleasant walk. You could always take it a bit further out (north or south of York) to make a longer walk.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking near York

Hi

Not sure if Castle Howard appeals to you, but there's nice walking in the area (the Howardian Hills) and you don't have to visit the Castle if you don't want to. There are walks that criss cross the Estate that are public access, but you would have to pay if you wanted to visit the formal gardens and the house itself (which is magnificent).

There's public transport out from York to Castle Howard - full details on www.castlehoward.co.uk

For examples of walks in the vicinity that don't include a visit to the House itself, please see here -

www.yorkshirewalks.org/diary/diary200.htm

yorkpress.co.uk/leisure/countrywalks/display…

I would imagine the Tourist Office in York would have leaflets as well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking near York

You can get trains to Knaresborough, which isn't flat. I think they're hourly, and take about 20 minutes

Some great walks up the Nidd Gorge there......plus Knaresborough (and neighbouring Harrogate, the next stop on the line) itself has a fair bit of interest

5. Re: Walking near York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about York