We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiesta Mehicana Mexican restaurant

Midlands
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fiesta Mehicana Mexican restaurant

We are going to York tomorrow for 1 night and were looking for a Mexican restaurant to have an evening meal in. I have come across the above name and wondered if anyone could tell me whether the food is nice there? Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
532 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiesta Mehicana Mexican restaurant

I've been there a couple of times, but not recently due to hearing bad reports regarding food and service so wouldn't venture back there.

There is a new mexican on George Hudson Street, but don't know what it is like, that's called Sam Houston's. Mayeb someone else on here has been?

Plunkets is always nice, cosy intimate restaurant, nice bar upstairs if you have to wait, it's located not far from the Minster. It's not exactly a Mexican, but does all that kind of food.

http://www.plunkets.co.uk/

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiesta Mehicana Mexican restaurant

We always used to make Fiesta Mehicana our first meal in York whenever we visited. We must have been 5 or 6 times in all.

I would concur with the previous poster. I believe (and I apologise if I am wrong) that it had a change of management a few years back and certainly on that first visit since the change, I found the food to be still pretty good but the portion size had changed dramatically (for the worst). I also found it a tad more expensive, and it really didn't hit us for six like previous meals have done.

It is a lovely setting and the atmposphere is very good. I always found the tables up the small flight of stairs and looking out onto the road were a bit tight and close to each other, but as this was always the non smoking section, it was the area we were always put in (all non smoking now obviously). Not a major issue admittedly.

To be honest we haven't been back on our last 2 visits to York and probably won't next time either. There are many great restaurants in York, not necessarily Mexican, and we just prefer to try different places now.

Let us know if you do decide to go, and your overall experience.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiesta Mehicana Mexican restaurant

I always enjoyed the food there but admittedly haven't been in a while.

I can recommend Bobo Lobos on Little Stonegate

http://www.bobolobo.net/

which is Cuban but you'll get your nachos, enchiladas, fajitas etc. Go early as it gets lively and you can also choose from the early bird menu - 2 courses for £10.95 before 7pm.

I don't rate Plunketts.

Midlands
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiesta Mehicana Mexican restaurant

Thanks very much everyone for your quick replies. It's making me hungry looking at all the menus! You've all been a great help - looks like we'll choose one of the alternatives as they sound better - thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
532 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiesta Mehicana Mexican restaurant

Bobo Lobo is good, but the service can be a little slow sometimes! Also opposite that is Oscars, which does Nachos and similar, worth a look if you're down that area.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiesta Mehicana Mexican restaurant

Yorkie -- I hear you. I thought the service at Bobo Lobo was a little slow too but I put it down to ua being the only ones in the dining area at the time (we were very early!)

I did think the food tasted better there (not to mention, more authentic) than Plunketts though.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiesta Mehicana Mexican restaurant

Oh yes, you made a good point about Oscar's too. Definitely worth a look - I've never had a bad meal there and it has a great atmosphere.

Midlands
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiesta Mehicana Mexican restaurant

Thanks every one for your helpful comments. We had a great time in York last weekend.

We tried to get into Bobo Lobos but it was fully booked. We then went to Sam Houston's and had a great meal - I'd recommend it!

Hoepfully we'll get to try the other places that have been recommened on future visits. Thanks again!

9. Re: Fiesta Mehicana Mexican restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about York